Quality expected from the EX3 and Flash XDR - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:26 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Dear David,

All MPEG2 is 8 bit.

However, with the upcoming Flash XDR firmware upgrade, which is scheduled to be available by the end of this year, the unit will be able to record 10-bit uncompressed.

This firmware upgrade is an additional cost feature.

At the Canon Booth at NAB, there was a nice Convergent-Design poster on the wall.

The poster had a very nice gradient which I expected to show color banding in the image.

I aimed the Canon XL H1s at the poster and the image on the Apple display did not show any banding that I could detect. I was very impressed.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM   #32
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
While others argue about the technical merits of this camera versus that camera and this codec versus that codec, I think Mike has hit the nail on the head - it is much more interesting to see some typical footage. People moving about, colourful images of a beach scene perhaps, some test chroma key footage etc. Photoshop difference maps are just so one company can claim their codec is better than anothers and I've seen plenty of instances where they mean nothing with real world images. Believe your eyes my friends - they are the ultimate QC...

From all accounts the EX3 (like the EX1) will be stunning HD full raster quality - if you want to whack a 1/2" broadcast HD lens on the front it's likely to get even better. Combine that with the FlashXDR and you have a technically sound recording device with cheaper alternative media.

The other stuff is just a distraction (an interesting distraction) - come on Mike - give us some real world footage to look at in HD. I'd prefer to see it off the EX1, but even the XL-H1 will do.
Hi John-
Could not agree more! As Dan Keaton mentioned, we have some full-motion video recording in the works at 50 / 100 Mbps Long-GOP and 160 Mbps I-Frame.

We just received the new Transcend 16GB 300X Compact Flash card ($240). It is rated at 45 MBytes/sec (360 Mbps) read and write. Based on our tests of the 32GB 133X card (also from Transcend), I am betting this card will easily meet these numbers. (The Transcend 32 GB 133X card is about 150X write and 300X read speeds, a real over-achiever). We will use this new card for initial tests of the 160 Mbps I-Frame.

We have now confirmed read and write operations to all four Compact Flash cards. We feel very confident about offereing the uncompressed feature. Initially, we will limit the overall bandwidth (across all four cards) to 130 MBytes/sec, which will support 1080p24/25 and 720p24/25/30 at 10-bit and all other formats at 8-bit (all 4:2:2). Four of these 16GB Transcend cards will provide about 8 minutes of record / playback time.

I have another couple of days checking out the analog audio and then we will return to more tests using the Canon XL-H1 and the Sony EX1. We do have some blue/green screen material (captured uncompressed from the EX1) for testing keys. We'll also post this material for everyone to test.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey