DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Major Flash XDR Firmware Release - Vr 0.0.264 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/144239-major-flash-xdr-firmware-release-vr-0-0-264-a.html)

Mike Schell February 20th, 2009 06:45 PM

Major Flash XDR Firmware Release - Vr 0.0.264

We just posted Flash XDR Firmware Vr 0.0.264. This firmware feature a number of major enhancements / corrections, including:

1) Playback from any file, with fast advance to next/previous file. After a record session you can hit the play button to automatically start playback of the last recorded clip. Then you can hit the left and right arrows to advance / backup to the next / previous file. This advance / backup feature actually functions better than we anticipated as there is hardly any noticeable glitch in the video as you switch from file to file. The switching is very fast and you can hold down the (left/right) button to zip through the files.

2) HD-SDI glitch/unplug results in the proper closing of QT/MXF file. If you turn off your camera while the XDR is recording, the unit will now properly close the file and stop recording. If the HD-SDI signal reappears, then the box will automatically open a new file and resume recording. If you want to cease this operation, you can simply hit the stop button.

3) Playback now working in all formats, including 1080psf23.98.

4) Corrected an occasional A/V sync issue with embedded audio.

5) Fixed an embedded time-code problem that occurs when no audio is present in the HD-SDI stream.

6) Added the ability to switch directly from play mode to record mode, without going through a stop.

Next update plans include internal time-code generation, audio level meters and standard-definition support (and any new bug fixes).

Best-

Bill Ravens February 23rd, 2009 08:00 AM

Mike....

Great work! Thanx for the update.
I still have a problem with files captured from a JVC GY-HD110. All files get captured as 60p, regardless whether I've selected 30p or 23.978p in the camera. I would very much like to have the pulldown for the HD110. 24Pfs works well for the EX1 shooting in 24Pfs mode, but not in the HD110.

Mike Schell February 23rd, 2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 1016811)
Mike....

Great work! Thanx for the update.
I still have a problem with files captured from a JVC GY-HD110. All files get captured as 60p, regardless whether I've selected 30p or 23.978p in the camera. I would very much like to have the pulldown for the HD110. 24Pfs works well for the EX1 shooting in 24Pfs mode, but not in the HD110.

Hi Bill-
I assume the format is 720p? If so, we only support 720p60/50 now, but have 720p30/25/23.98 on the list for a future update. Our major reluctance in supporting these formats is the lack of NLE support. We know, that using our 50/100 Mbps MPEG2 4:2:2 CODEC, FCP only supports 720p60/50. I don't have a definitive answer about Avid or Edius support.

Do you have any insight in this matter?

Best-

Dan Keaton February 24th, 2009 02:35 AM

Dear Bill,

What Component to HD-SDI converter are you using to obtain a HD-SDI signal from your JVC 110u?

Many HD-SDI monitors, was you are aware, display the input format.

I am curious as to what format the converter is outputting.

Bill Ravens February 24th, 2009 08:40 AM

Hi Guys,
Thanx for your responses. Yes, The HD110 will output only 720P in HDV mode. I'm converting the component output of the camera to HD-SDI with a BMD converter box. According to BMD product page, , "A huge range of video standards are supported including, NTSC, PAL, 1080i/59.94, 1080i/50, 1080psf/23.98, 1080psf/24, 720p/59.94 and 720p/50 formats, plus new formats can be added via USB."

Oops, I checked the component output. You're quite right about the component outputs of the camera. According to the format detection of my production monitor, the output is always shown as 720p59, regardless of whether the camera onboard encoder is set to 60, 30 or 24fps, which means pulldown doesn't exist in-camera for the component outs. I didn't think of that possibility. So, I guess it's not a FlashXDR issue, rather a camera output condition.

Curiously, I can import the files into Edius and change the framerate in post, without a loss in resolution. I guess I'll have to stick with this as a post production issue.

Thanx, again, for answering.