Final Cut Studio 2 test files to download at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 6th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #1
New Boot

Final Cut Studio 2 test files to download

Afternoon all.

I have a shoot coming up next week with Polecam HD with the Tosh HD1 camera.

My question is this. Are there any .mov files I could point in my clients direction so that can make sure the files work in their system?

I myself normally cut on Vegas 9 or Premiere Pro CS4 and so I use the MXF format.

I just want to make sure their FCP2 system can takes the .mov files.

Also would you recommend Long Gop or I-Frame?

Cheers,

Stuart
Stuart Nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Convergent Design

Hi Stuart-
Check out our nanoFlash product page for some test files. My personal recommendation is to shoot in 100Mbps Long-GOP. I think this is the best choice for video quality vs bit-rate. Yes, 160 Mbps probably looks a little bit better, but you will likely be hard pressed to see the difference.

Best-
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Very hard pressed to see a difference, for sure. I think the only way you can see a minute difference is if you were shooting a relentless codec torture scene (there are many known scenarios) that filled the frame with nothing but fast motion and sharp detail for a long time.

Still, that underscores the awesomeness of higher bit rate options and I-frame recording. You aren't *stuck* with the wonderful 100mbs mode. There are even more robust options if you're shooting something so insanely difficult for the nano/XDR's long GOP modes to contend with.

The 100mbs and up long GOP modes are basically bullet-proof, IMO.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Barlow,

Thanks for posting, it sounds like you are enjoying your nanoFlash.

We completely agree, we highly recommend the 100 Mbps Long GOP.

We may have found a case today where we would recommend I-Frame Only.

We were testing today to see if I-Frame is better for the Phantom camera, when it is recording live, not when it is playing back a pre-recorded high-speed sequence.

This is a very specialized case where the camera sees 1000 frames per second but only sends us 24 and the exposure time is very short for each frame.

In this mode, every frame, that we see may be almost 100 percent different as 41 or so intermediate frames are discarded by the camera. Thus for high speed sports, such as football, there could be a lot of action that we never see. For a normal camera, this would not normally happen.

We will probably know the results in a few days.

For normal cameras, unless we recommend otherwise for very special circumstances, the Long GOP at 100 Mbps is highly recommended.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey