Initial Cursory Thoughts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Initial Cursory Thoughts

Well folks, I have had my Nano out on a CBS production slated for a December air date, and I would like to share some initial thoughts. The Nano was used only as a dual recorder for comparison only. I moved it from the PDW-800 and the EX in varying situations.
Task
1. Record Sony XDHD 50Mb LGOP via PDW-800/700, and 35 Mb EX 1/3, as native in camera as 720 24p masters.
2. Provide a realtime SD copy via SD SDI out to Sony XDSD 50Mb LGOP from both PDW and PMW series cameras.
3. Dual record to Nano at different rates and wrappers QT/MXF.
4. Test in FCP/Avid

Lets just say numbers 1 through 3 are complete and I have only done some basic tests in FCP.

Initial Thoughts Ergo

1. Easy to use/mount
2. Very light weight
3. Easy to program
4. The cards pop all the way out, be ready to gently hold the card upon eject.
5. LEDs are clear and bright enough

Initial/Cursory Quality Observations

1. 100Mb playback from Nano/PDW-800 was beautiful. A quick AB from the original confirmed my thoughts. Both images were fantastic and I do need to have a more detailed look. I played back the CF file for the Executive Producer/Producers and they were very
pleased with the results. They are an Avid shop and will toy with some of the Nano files in the final render.
2. Where I'm the most excited is the Nano EX combo. This is the answer to the utilization of an PDW-700, 800/PMW-EX 1/3 combo., or just raising the bar on the EX series to an "A" camera in certain situations for some and many for others. Unfortunately, I was not able to fully test this as yet due to time constraints, but we are heading up to Detroit today to start a HDNet production, and along with the 800, will be placing the Nano on the EX 3 for most of the week.

I'll have more thoughts as we go along and really dig into the images with a proper set up. I'll be best to pass on further analysis after doing so. I'll be limited to posting these images as they are copyrighted.

P.S. COPY COPY COPY, we had a consumer drive lock up due to a directory corruption and 600+ gigs are now subject to Drivesavers Inc. able hands to extract these from said drive. a 2K$ solution. MY bad. Should have used Shot Put Pro and duel recorded or mirrored two drives. Another thread I guess.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Dennis,

Thank you for posting your initial thoughts on the nanoFlash.

Concerning your comments in the P.S. "Copy Copy Copy".

I am assuming that you are speaking of a hard disk drive that failed due to directory corruption, something not associated with the nanoFlash.
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Dan,
Yes, we are sure the issue is with the drive itself, not the Nano. We are waiting for Driversaver Inc. analysis, but our initial look at the drive indicated a corrupt directory issue.
Our efforts to repair permissions and employ Data Rescue software scan, has only pointed at the directory as having issues. I''ll keep you posted. So let me move this to a new thread.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey