Alister Chapman and his nanoFlash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Alister Chapman and his nanoFlash

Dear Friends,

Alister Chapman is a well-respected free-lance professional filmmaker who specializes in shooting severe / extreme weather, aviation and science programs.

Alister is a member of Sony Europe's ICE team (Independent Certified Experts).

He received his nanoFlash last Friday and immediately put it to good use. He was shooting with a Sony EX1 and a Sony PDW-700 camera.

He tested the nanoFlash with both cameras.

Alister typically shot using our 100 Mbps 4:2:2 Long-GOP mode.

Alister's blog, with a mini-review of the nanoFlash is here:

XDCAM-USER.com Alister’s Blog

Alister also made a couple of videos discussing the nanoFlash.

YouTube - nanoFlash 1

YouTube - nanoFlash Dual Recording Technique

We wish to publicly thank Alister for his review and his kind words about our nanoFlash.

I have included a couple of frames recorded by the nanoFlash.
Attached Thumbnails
Alister Chapman and his nanoFlash-alister_chapman_lightning_august_23_2009_001.bmp   Alister Chapman and his nanoFlash-alister_chapman_lightning_august_23_2009_002.bmp  

Old August 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Dan, Hi all.

Since writing the first part of my review I have been able to look more closely at the footage from the NanoFlash. I recorded at 100Mb/s Long GoP from both the XDCAM EX and PDW-700. The improvement in picture quality over the in-built recordings is noticeable straight away before you do anything to the material such as grading. To be honest I didn't think I would be able to see a difference between the 50Mb/s PDW-700 recordings and the 100Mb/s NanoFlash recording, but I can. Now, don't get me wrong, I am still perfectly happy with the quality of both the 35Mb and 50Mb recordings the cameras produce, and there will be many jobs where that is what I use. The 100Mb/s NanoFlash recordings just look a little cleaner with a little less noise and jitter in areas of high detail, this in turn makes the images look a little "clearer" for want of a better word. The images I got from the PDW-700 with the NanoFlash are spectacular. I hope to get them projected on a big screen at 4K sometime soon. The EX footage is also extremely good, looking no different to what I see directly out of the HDSDI output. I am also using it with my HXR-MC1P (AVCHD) mini-cam via HDMI and the improvement there is quite dramatic. I still can't get over how simple it is to use.
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Alister,

Your experience, reviews, and comments are greatly appreciated.
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

As promised I have posted part 2 of my NanoFlash review on my blog. This part concentrates on the picture quality differences, which in some cases are quite striking.

XDCAM-USER.com Convergent Design NanoFlash Review Part 2 – Picture Quality

As I said in my post above the difference is clear to see, first generation on a large monitor. But when you start t grade or do any post production work that's when the difference really starts to show. In my test clips the EX footage showed noticeable blocking following heavy grading, while the 100 Mb/s NanoFlash footage remained clean and crisp.
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Alister,

Thank you.

We greatly appreciate your detailed analysis and the time and effort it takes to create and post a thorough review such as yours.

I found the differences between the "Frame grab from 35 Mb/s graded EX Footage", and the "Frame grab from 100 Mb/s graded nanoFlash footage", to be quite significant. These are the last two images in your post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey