nanoFlash Wish List - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Dear Dennis,

Hot Swapping of cards is not currently supported.

We are about to release a new firmware update. The update after this one is scheduled to have Hot Swapping.

In the meantime, it is important to not insert or remove a card while recording or playing back.

We need for you to format the cards in the nanoFlash (or Flash XDR).

Specifically, deleting files on a PC and a Mac, then re-inserting the card into the nanoFlash for recording, may leave the card fragmented.

As we are working near the limits of the write speed of the card, we can not tolerate a fragmented card.

We prefer for you to treat the cards as if they are "Read Only" while they are in a PC or a MAC. Thus, no writing to the cards, nor deleting of files.

If you have two 32 GB cards, then you can record continuously for around 80 minutes using our 100 Mbps Long-GOP mode and twice that if you are using 50 Mbps.

We have modes that allow you to record much longer if need be.

If you can break for 20 seconds or so, then you can take the cards out and put in a new set.

Of course, Hot Swapping is in the works.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Dear Dennis,

I have discussed this with our engineers.

We may be able to support you in your request to delete files on your PC or Mac.

We have discussed working this in with our Hot Swapping feature.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:04 AM   #33
Major Player

Dan and Michael,
Thank you for taking this on. And a bigger thank you for letting users and this forum for the candid exchanges an ideas as
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM   #34
Major Player

Dan, Michael,
Sorry for the unfinished post. Re do
Thank you for taking this on. And a bigger thank you for letting users contribute to the advances of your product line. Your candid exchanges and desires to improve is something to be admired. I have only 3 days at home before we embark on another trip to CA.. with Nano in hand. By the mid end of next week 9/15, we will have amassed a lot of Nano footage from this past month, and I will have time to analyze each of the Native vs. Nano files. Will post ASAP. Any thoughts on my EX Nano workflow post?
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Dear Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words.

I do think that everyone winds up with a better product if we are completely open.

I will send an email, containing your post to Mr. Alister Chapman. He has a PDW-700, with lots of experience. I hope he has some answers. I do not have any experience with writing our files back to the Sony disk.
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #36
Major Player

Hello,
I love your idea of using the Rec switches to break up continuous clips, time lapse and hot swap cards is must for me. The long duration work that I do runs in two 90 min segments which restricts me to 50 mbps. I would really love to use higher data rates but to do this I would need hot swap.

The other area that concerns to me is visually knowing that the Nanno is recording. Due to the physical constraints I have no option but to mount the Nanno to the rear of the camera on DM Accessories EX3 Shoulder mount. This puts the Nanno out of my vision and when shooting shoulder mount you have to rely on a tally light.

Here is my suggestion if it is possible to implement. The EX3 has a HDV socket which can take an input from the Nunno. When the record mode is active the Nanno can send data to the camera which turn on the HDV red tally light in the viewfinder. The user then just has to look in the view finder to ensure that the two red tally lights are on one for cam and the other HDV for Nano.

Thanks guys
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #37
Inner Circle

The firewire socket on the EX cameras is only active when the camera is set to SP mode which is 1440x1080. While this doesn't effect the HDSDi output it would restrict the ability to record full 1920x1080 internally to SxS while shooting with a Nano.

I think a simpler solution would be an LED tally light connected to the Nano's remote socket that you could position on the camera where you can see it. This of course then works with any camera.
Old September 13th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

We make Remote Controls for the nanoFlash.

These come in two basic versions.

Both have a nice momentary illuminated LED as a tally light (record light) built into the remote control switch. We typically use a red led, but we can offer green for use in aircraft.

The remote control, if pressed momentarily, tells the nanoFlash to record, and the tally light starts to blink, indicating that the nanoFlash is recording.

Any subsequent short depressions of the switch have no effect. This is to prevent the switch from being bumped accidentally and stopping the recording.

To stop, one just holds down the switch for 1 second.Note: We used to just turn on this tally light, (solid, not blinking), to indicate that we are recording.

Now we blink the light to give confidence that the nanoFlash is recording.

If the light stops blinking, either in the on state or off state, we are not recording.

A second model of the remote controls provides "Timecode In" via a female BNC connector.

We also offer other models that allow multiple nanoFlashes to be controlled via one switch.

And we can custom build these to fit special situations.

This includes custom cable lengths, extra LEDs, units to control multiple units, etc.
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
We make Remote Controls for the nanoFlash.
<snip>
We also offer other models that allow multiple nanoFlashes to be controlled via one switch.
And we can custom build these to fit special situations.
This includes custom cable lengths, extra LEDs, units to control multiple units, etc.
Hi Dan,

In several of your posts, I have seen reference to all these accessories that you make. I sure would love to see them all. Is there a catalogue that I have been missing?

Also, staying on topic... let me add my 2¢ for that Reference Movie option that lets you recombine clips that are recorded separately by the nanoFlash during long record times. If you want do discuss it, happy to help.
Old September 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Dear Bob,

We are planning on upgrading our website soon.

One of the additions will be a section on accessories.

I have just done a little research on reference movies. I will send you a private email.
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #41
Major Player

Thanks Dan & Alister – The idea of using the extra HDV tally light in view finder came to mind because prior to purchasing the Nano, I had nNovia QC Deck which recorded in DV25 or HDV format, and it used the HDV tally which was very good.

I would be interested to know how others are mounting the Nano to the EX3. In may case the front accessory shoe is permanently taken by my 144 Led light. The rear accessory shoe is obscured by the Vlock battery mount.

I must admit like BOB I was unaware the you had a range of accessories. I only found out when I enquired about wiring options for the 10 pin Hirose. By that time I had already purchase the connectors and employed a technician do the wiring. I had things ordered so I could get the Nano tested and into service ASAP.

I have just had two SanDisk Extreme IV 16gb cards land on my desk an now I am out to see what this unit will do?
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Have fun!

We will improve our website as soon as possible.
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #43
Regular Crew

"Hot Swapping" of CF cards

Dan,

I was about to post this in the thread about CF cards, but since it is more a wish list item, I decided to revive this thread. :-)

Concerning formatting of cards in the nano (and XDR, I assume)...

I know you guys are working on "hot swapping" for an upcoming update. If someone is to use that feature, I assume all cards would have to be formatted (in the nano) before being inserted during the hot swapping process, since formatting can not be done on one card while recording is being done on another card.

I believe I read that it also isn't a good idea to prepare the CF Card for re-use by deleting files on the computer to which files are being transferred. If this this case, a user would have to have enough cards prepared before starting recording where hot swapping is going to be necessary.

Since cards can't be formatted on the computer to which files are transferred (with the standard formatting process), is it possible that C-D could provide a utility to make that possible? I guess I'm asking for that to be on the "wish list".

I doubt this is a high priority, but it may become more important as file sizes become larger as a result of higher bit rates... just a thought.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

All of your assumptions are correct.

When we format a card in the nanoFlash or Flash XDR we test the card and write a file that has special information about the card. Thus, we need to do the formatting.

Also, a PC or Mac may not format the card so that optimum performance is obtained, specifically the sector size may be different, or the directory size may be different.

Yes, we could write a utility to format the cards in a PC or a Mac. The problem is our list of features that we are trying to add to the nanoFlash and Flash XDR does not leave us with much time to add this utility at this time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey