Recording EX3 SD Downconverted to nanoFlash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Recording EX3 SD Downconverted to nanoFlash

Hello,
I would really appreciate it if anyone who has EX3 and nanoFlash unit can do a downconverted SD test recording to the nanoFlash. The EX3 can downconvert HD to SD via the SDI port but what is the quality like? Is it the same as we see from the analogue connectors (Very Poor) or is it visually better equal to that of DVCAM tape?

Thanks

Lance
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hello,
I would really appreciate it if anyone who has EX3 and nanoFlash unit can do a downconverted SD test recording to the nanoFlash. The EX3 can downconvert HD to SD via the SDI port but what is the quality like? Is it the same as we see from the analogue connectors (Very Poor) or is it visually better equal to that of DVCAM tape?

Thanks

Lance
Hi Lance-
The best way to judge the quality is to look at the live down-converted SD video on an SDI monitor. The nanoFlash will record this video using the visually lossless 50 Mbps IMX codec. So, if you are happy with the down-convert video quality, I am sure you will be pleased with the video from the nanoFlash.

Best-
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Major Player

I think that the HD>SD conversion in camera is as good as the one you get in an AJA.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys your advice is appreciated unfortunately our local reseller did not have an SDI monitor available so I could view the SDI down converted signal on.
Well what can I say, I cancelled my KiPro order and hello NanoFlash .

Looks like I will have start reading all the NanoFlash info now. I am impressed when you send a company an email and they respond to let you know what the situation is.

Thanks Mike Schell
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Correction to my previous post Thanks Tommy Schell.
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

welcome Lance. I too was going for the KI Pro but I got my Nanoflash and I already started doing tests. The thing is pretty awesome and the image quality is looking really nice.
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Not only does the nanoFlash record superb master quality HD pics, it is a very versatile 'must have' recorder. HD, SD and upcoming m2v recordings - all in a day's work for the nanoFlash.
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Guys,
I must say it's great to be able to talk to the Convergent Design and get replies. While I was trading emails with Tommy and having advised him that I have placed the order for the NanoFlash. When I got up this morning and opened me emails much to my surprise Tommy supplied me with links to download Demo Vision, Manual and the latest Firmware: 1.0.64. When I looked at the upgraded notes Firmware: 1.0.64 much to my surprise they have now added.

"Added .mpg and .m2v file format support for DVD and Blu-Ray authoring encoding/capture. SD Data rates of 5 and 9 Mbps; HD at 19,25,35 and 50 Mbps. "

Well that blew me away! Hell all I need to do is produce DVD's and soon Blu-Ray disk's and the NanoFlash look like they have got it covered. If this works the way I think it should and I do not have to convert the camera's output to SD I can make a HD and a DVD copy in one go.
My wish list. It would be an even greater package if they could include a splash screen and thumb nails while recording in .mpg and .M2v. All one has to do is burn it to disk and bingo done.
I am looking forward to getting my unit in the next few days and test this feature. I am having some problems getting CF cards down here if anyone can recommend a reputable mail order site for good quality media I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks
Lance
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
I am having some problems getting CF cards down here if anyone can recommend a reputable mail order site for good quality media I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks
Lance
Stay with Sandisk, yes they cost but it really is the only one that works properly with the nf. Try Sincerity Trading via ebay. The guy is in Hong Kong and his rates are very competitive - free to OZ! I just bought 4 x 32Gb from him the other day and they are the genuine thing and all works perfectly. I will be buying more from him next month.
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the info David it's appericated. I have searched ebay and can not find "Sincerity Trading" are able to give me any more info or the address. I am very warey about buying from ebay traders as it is hard to tell who is selling quality.
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
"Added .mpg and .m2v file format support for DVD and Blu-Ray authoring encoding/capture. SD Data rates of 5 and 9 Mbps; HD at 19,25,35 and 50 Mbps. "

Well that blew me away! Hell all I need to do is produce DVD's and soon Blu-Ray disk's and the NanoFlash look like they have got it covered. If this works the way I think it should and I do not have to convert the camera's output to SD I can make a HD and a DVD copy in one go.
Lance
Dear Lance,

Here is the latest information on using our new ".MPG" and ".M2V" file formats.

These file formats are used in Blu-ray / DVD creation and other applications.

Please note that our new firmware, 1.0.64, is a beta release for these new file formats.

Please test these file formats with your system before using them for production.

We've tested these file formats successfully with a number of decoders.

Please note that the Quicktime Player will not accept our .MPG files at this time.
We released 1.0.64 yesterday.

We were able to fix it today so that our .MPG files work with the Quicktime Player. This will be included in the next release. We are continuing to test our .MPG files with various Blu-ray / DVD burning software.

Caution: ".M2V" is a Video Only format, no audio is recorded if ".M2V" is selected.

".MPG" includes both audio and video.

Our new ".MPG" and ".M2V" file formats do not do HD to SD down conversion.

So, if you are providing the nanoFlash with a HD-SDI or HDMI input, the valid bit rates are 19, 25, and 35 Mbps (all 4:2:0) and 50 Mbps (4:2:2).

Caution: Please note that 50 Mbps (4:2:2) is not compatible with most Blu-ray / DVD authoring programs

If you are providing the nanoFlash with a SD-SDI input, then the valid bit rates are appropriate for SD DVD's, 5 and 9 Mbps.

Note: At this time, we support SD-SDI, but not SD over HDMI.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Hello Dan,
Would you please give me your opinion on my settings for the Nano.
I record from my EX3 in pal at 1080/50i and edit on my MacBook Pro with
Intel Core2 Duo Processor Speed:2.33 GHz.

Is it better to use I-Frame and not Long-GOP for editing in FCP on this machine?
Thanks
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Final Cut Pro works very well with our Long-GOP files.

You may choose 50 Mbps or 100 Mbps (or higher under very special circumstances).

Choose QT as the File Type.

I-Frame Only also works, but the codec is not as efficient, and the file sizes are larger, thus the recording time is shorter.

I would reserve I-Frame Only for special situations, or for working with specific NLE's.
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Dan that's a big help.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey