SanDisk Extreme 32 GB Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 26th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Inner Circle

SanDisk Extreme 32 GB Cards

Dear Friends,

Yesterday, we received our first SanDisk Extreme 32 GB CompactFlash card.

This is spec'd as a 60 Megabyte per second read/write card.

We found that this card works in the Flash XDR and nanoFlash.

We have not determined that actual read/write speeds yet, but we feel that this card will pass all of our tests and become a fully qualified card for use with the Flash XDR and nanoFlash, for use at all of our bit-rates up to and including 220 Mbps.

We will proceed to fully qualify this card.

We are incorporate this card into our firmware so that our units recognize this card.
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

We have not determined that actual read/write speeds yet, but we feel that this card will pass all of our tests and become a fully qualified card for use with the Flash XDR and nanoFlash, for use at all of our bit-rates up to and including 220 Mbps.

We will proceed to fully qualify this card.

We are incorporate this card into our firmware so that our units recognize this card.
....At least the Sandisk Extreme 60 MB per second 32 GB card has a more realistic street price at $414.00 US. Check it out SanDisk | Products | DSLR | SanDisk® Extreme® CompactFlash® Card I hope this card passes all CD qualification testing.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

The SanDisk Extreme 32 GB 60 Megabyte per second spec'd card is selling for $299.95 at B&H.

The "List" prices, on manufacturers's site are typically high.
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Dear Mark,

The SanDisk Extreme 32 GB 60 Megabyte per second spec'd card is selling for $299.95 at B&H.

The "List" prices, on manufacturers's site are typically high.
....That's a little more like it. Indeed a more realistic price.
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

In fact, this is a better deal than purchasing two SanDisk Extreme IV 16 GB cards.

The new SanDisk Extreme 32 GB card is spec'd for faster read's and writes, and costs less than two of the SanDisk Extreme IV 16 GB cards.

And for our highest bit rates, this doubles the record time.
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Trustee

Sandisk Extreme III 16 GB Card Use ?

Quote:
Dear Mark,

In fact, this is a better deal than purchasing two SanDisk Extreme IV 16 GB cards.

The new SanDisk Extreme 32 GB card is spec'd for faster read's and writes, and costs less than two of the SanDisk Extreme IV 16 GB cards.

And for our highest bit rates, this doubles the record time.
....Dan. Can I also use the Sandisk Extreme III 16 GB card in the Flash XDR ? I don't see it on your CD qualified card list, but I see the 32 GB card listed.
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

We have recently tested the SanDisk Extreme III 16 GB card.

It works, but we have much more experience and testing with the SanDisk Extreme III 32 GB card.
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Dear Friends,

card.
Hi Dan,
I just received 4 Sandisk Extreme 60MBs 32GB cards and have Tested them on the Nano to verify the cards before I use them on a live shoot. The interesting thing is that three out of the four when 1st used them worked at 220Mbps. With each reformat that has occurred the cards have failing one at a time until now none of the cards will record at 220 Mbps with the NanoFlash dropping the bit rate back to 160Mbps.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

We will investigate this.

I assume that you are formating them in the nanoFlash.

Are you then transferring the footage to a Mac, with Leopard, by inserting the card into a card reader attached to the Mac?
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Expecting the Extreme 60MBs 32GB cards to work but will wait for the next firmware. By the way I posted in the classified 4- Extreme III 32 GB Sandisk cards at a huge savings that have only been used twice since I have 12 cards and only use 6-8 on most jobs these are like new.
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #11
Major Player

Hello Dan,
The cards are only formatted on the NanoFlash. I have not connected the cards to the computer, I was only interested in verifying the new cards and their record capacity before I use them for a live a shoot next week.
In regards to “Snow Leopard V10.6” I have now discovered other incompatibilities that I can not trust the OS and have decided to purchase a new HDU and revert back to “Leopard V10.5 “
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hi Dan,
I just received 4 Sandisk Extreme 60MBs 32GB cards and have Tested them on the Nano to verify the cards before I use them on a live shoot. The interesting thing is that three out of the four when 1st used them worked at 220Mbps. With each reformat that has occurred the cards have failing one at a time until now none of the cards will record at 220 Mbps with the NanoFlash dropping the bit rate back to 160Mbps.
Hi Lance-
In our tests the Sandisk Extreme card performed fine at 160 Mbps, but failed at 220 Mbps. We have a new CF write alogorithm in development and expect a significant performance improvement with this card (initial tests indicate a 40% increase in write speed).

The revamped firmware is expected by the end of this month; then the Extreme cards should be good for 220Mbps (and beyond).

Best-

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey