Newbie question about compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Newbie question about compatibility

Have a Canon XHA1 and just ordered the JVC GY HM700. Is the NanoFlash compatible with both? If I read the info and threads right, it is...just making sure prior to dropping some more coin.
Craig Lieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Craig,

The HM700 has HD-SDI output and is compatible with the nanoFlash.

The Canon XH A1 does not have HD-SDI, nor HDMI output. As such, the component output would have to go through a converter before the signal could be accepted by the nanoFlash.
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Craig,

The HM700 has HD-SDI output and is compatible with the nanoFlash.

The Canon XH A1 does not have HD-SDI, nor HDMI output. As such, the component output would have to go through a converter before the signal could be accepted by the nanoFlash.
Thanks, Dan.

What data rates might I expect with the HM700 and the NanoFlash...are we still talking 50 mbps, 100, 160?

Lastly, the files are written to NanoFlash in either Quicktime MOV or MXF files, IIRC.

Working with FCP 6.0.4 on a Mac Desktop with 16GB RAM, I assume this workflow would be fast and efficient.
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Craig,

The data rate of your HM700 is 1.485 Gbps, or 1,485 Mbps.

The nanoFlash records in many different bit-rates, from a very low 5 Mbps (SD, for DVD's) up to and including 220 Mbps, but the sweet spot is 100 Mbps Long-GOP.

The nanoFlash can create Quicktime (".MOV"), MXF (".MXF), or MPG (".MPG").

(Note: I had to look up "IIRC" as I did not know what format that was!. Then I found that you meant "If I Remember Correctly", so I got a nice laugh.)

Your Mac Desktop should probably work ok.

Just be certain that your disk subsystem is up to par. Using a USB drive is not advisable, and working with SATA drives is far superior to Firewire drives. Is your Mac generally very responsive? If so, you should be ok.
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Craig,

The data rate of your HM700 is 1.485 Gbps, or 1,485 Mbps.

The nanoFlash records in many different bit-rates, from a very low 5 Mbps (SD, for DVD's) up to and including 220 Mbps, but the sweet spot is 100 Mbps Long-GOP.

The nanoFlash can create Quicktime (".MOV"), MXF (".MXF), or MPG (".MPG").

(Note: I had to look up "IIRC" as I did not know what format that was!. Then I found that you meant "If I Remember Correctly", so I got a nice laugh.)

Your Mac Desktop should probably work ok.

Just be certain that your disk subsystem is up to par. Using a USB drive is not advisable, and working with SATA drives is far superior to Firewire drives. Is your Mac generally very responsive? If so, you should be ok.
Dan;

Your quick response and knowledge base have convinced me to buy your product. Upon delivery of my JVC unit, I will be procuring a Nanoflash without delay.
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Craig,

Well, that certainly is good news.

I am confident that you will be happy with the nanoFlash.
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Craig, you really can't go wrong. These little boxes are pure magic. Just awesome really.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey