Painful Lession: If Only I knew ! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #31
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi John:
Yes. I use DNxHD 220 X often, but as a general rule, I try an avoid any transcoding or recompressing of the original footage I edit. Although I must add that the Avid DNxHD is a visually lossless compression codec. I prefer to use QT Ref file where I can, or a simple QT Movie Export @ 1:1 resolution, so there is *only* a file copying process taking place, and not a *transcode,* or a *recompression.*

Given the difficulty of decompressing and editing long GOP footage I would have thought DnxHD for Avid and ProRes for FCP were no brainers. Granted it is an extra step but it will get you out of trouble.

Remember it is CD that has "tricked" the editing apps into seeing this footage (which isn't an offically supported format) by deliberately mislabelling the metadata.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #32
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
Does MC 4 have > than 1080p editing and secondary color correction?
What has that got to do with Convergent Design XDR or Nano?

OK - you might want to secondary colour correct your footage but these devices are limited to 1920x1080. To answer you question no it can't. You need Avid Symphony or Avid DS for that (of course these products do much more than that), or you could just buy a copy of FCP and use Color :) if secondary colour correction was your only concern. For the time being can we just accept that which is the best product depends entirely on the end user and leave the Avid vs FCP argument for another day.

If people want genuine information on what Avid can do and can't do, I'm more than prepared to help. I also use FCP but to a lesser extent so I can always use help there:)
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #33
Trustee

Died in the Wool Avid Media Composer User Can Answer Questions Too

Hi John:
Yes. I can answer questions about AMC as well. I use both Avid and FCP every day.
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey