Hv40 fiddling - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear Matt,

Over and under-cranking is not yet in the nanoFlash. It is still in development.

Over-cranking allows one to do slow-mo. If one records at 720p60, and plays back at 24p, then it appears slower.

If one records at a slower frame rate, then plays back at a faster rate, you get a fast motion effect.

While we will be able to record 720p60, we can only record up 30 frames a second in 1080p modes. Thus, the slow-mo in 1080p will not be as slow as the slow-mo in 720p modes.
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #17
Trustee

Slow Mo in 1080p ?

Hi Dan:
You wrote: "While we will be able to record 720p60, we can only record up 30 frames a second in 1080p modes. Thus, the slow-mo in 1080p will not be as slow as the slow-mo in 720p modes."

........So how can we have any slow motion at all in full raster HD if you can only record at nominal sound speed for 1080p @ 30 fps max ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

If one records, in 1080p30, then plays back at 24p, then this is just a little "slow-mo".

That is way I tried so hard to explain that our "slow-mo" for 1080p was very limited.
720p is more suited for this type of slow-mo.

Now, I have had great luck in producing a "slow-mo" DVD, from the footage created by my Canon XL H1 (before the days of the Flash XDR and nanoFlash).

I shot at 1080i60 (59.94), with a 1/60th of a second shutter, and slowed it down to 10% and then to 1% in Sony Vegas. I was just amazed at the quality of the "Slow-Mo".

Since then, I learned that 1/120th of a second shutter speed was recommended by experts, instead of the 1/60th setting.

My footage was of our Top Fuel Drag Boat, "Public Nuisance". I was over 1/4 mile away, on full zoon (20x), focused on our boat.

Then, our driver Scotty Lumbert, stabbed the throttle. I could see:

The throttle butterfly open ever so slowly.
The heat and exhaust coming out of the headers.
The water bubbling up from around the back of the boat.
The rooster tail starting to form ever so slowly.
The boat inching forward.
The boat starting to rise out of the water.
Scotty adjusting the rudder.
The boat every so slowly leaping up out of the water.
And so on.

Our boat does the liquid quarter mile in under 5 seconds and our clocked speed at the end of around 248 mph.

The purpose was to slow down all of these events so we could evaluate them.

The footage, in slow-motion was just amazing, and no exotic camera or techniques were used, just the "Velocity", in Vegas as set to 1%. I would have liked the ability to set the velocity to 1.66%.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey