nanoFlash Known Issues - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #16
New Boot

HD-SDI vs. HDMI

Should I be getting a different picture quality when I use the SDI vs. the HDMI inputs? We are capturing video game footage out of a XBox 360 going into the nanoFlash via HDMI. The editors were complaining of crushed blacks. I switched to the SDI input and all is well. The new signal path is HDMI out of the XBox into a nanoConnect, out of the nanoConnect HD-SDI into the nanoFlash. Is this a known issue? Any thoughts on why this is happening? Here's my setup:

XBox 360 HDMI out to
nanoConnect HD-SDI out to
nanoFlash 1.0.112
SanDisk Extreme IV 16GB
LongGOP, 50Mbps, MXF
Import to Avid 4.0.2

Unfortunately I don't have anything that can generate bars that has HDMI output. Please advise...
Ted O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Can I make a guess?

Gamma? 2.2/1.8?

Otherwise, something is perhaps looking for setup which shouldn't be in this case, but it sure is indicated.
Daniel Symmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Dear Ted,

I have alerted our Support Manager.

You have provided us with the detailed information that we need to try to solve your problem.

We will report back.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #19
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted O'Brien View Post
Should I be getting a different picture quality when I use the SDI vs. the HDMI inputs? We are capturing video game footage out of a XBox 360 going into the nanoFlash via HDMI. The editors were complaining of crushed blacks. I switched to the SDI input and all is well. The new signal path is HDMI out of the XBox into a nanoConnect, out of the nanoConnect HD-SDI into the nanoFlash. Is this a known issue? Please advise...
Hi Ted-
So the video looks correct if you go HDMI out of the XBOX -> nanoConnect -> nanoFlash? If so, we have an incorrect color space conversion table loaded into the HDMI receiver on the nanoFlash. This should be an easy fix.

Best-
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #20
New Boot

The video looks better XBox->nanoConnect->nanoFlash. There are more details in the blacks and dark areas of the shot. I would hate to say correct as I don't have a way to bring in bars via HDMI. I recorded some test bars out of the Avid via HD-SDI and played them back into the scopes and everything tested out perfectly. Should be easy for you guys to throw some bars at it SDI and HDMI and see if there's a shift. Please let me know what you find out.
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #21
Major Player

Gamma discrepancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Rafael-
On the Gamma discrepancy issue, was the video captured via HD-SDI out of the nanoFlash into an IOHD? Is the bit-rate the same for the MOV and MPG file formats?

I though the essence (MPEG2 data) was the same for MPG, MOV and MXF. But we could have made a mistake in programming the Sony MPEG2 encoder in MPG format.

Thanks-
Hi Mike,
Sorry I've got lost in this thread.
No. The discrepancy was capturing from the ioHD to the NANO.
I played in the MBP through the ioHd and captured in the NANO a 720p50 clip.
I've captured as QT and as MPEG. The MPG was much darker.
Best,
rafael
PS: Great you found the ioHD bug.
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:05 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi Dan & Mike,
I tested the AJA IO HD connected to my DVCAM player via component sending a HD SDI signal to the NanoFlash. I found it worked fine but too big to mount onto my dockable camera so I have purchased a Black Magic Design Mini Analogue to SDI converter which I am installing and testing tomorrow to record SD to the NanoFlash.

Today I used my new portable SDHD SDI monitor for the first time. When we finished shooting our links I decided to check the recording and do a playback. When I pressed play on the NanoFlash I noticed no audio levels, well it scared the hell out of me then I remembered reading somewhere that it was a known issue. The monitor only has an earphone socket, when I put the headphones on to my great relief and audio was there.

Do you have any idea when SD playback will be implemented.

Thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Our audio level meters in playback were intermittent. On a regular basis, they would go to zero, then return to showing the normal levels.

We decided to stop showing the level meters on playback until we could fix the problem.

I am sorry that this caused you some concern (actually a major scare).

I know we are working on SD Playback, but I do not know the schedule at this moment.

What is, or is not going to be in our next release changes quite frequently, so I have a hard time keeping up.

For example, I discussed "Low Latency audio", for audio embedded in the HD-SDI stream two days ago. Last night I was surprised to find out that this is expected in the next releaes. (On the nanoFlash, analog audio is already "low latency".)
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:32 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Dan as long as it record audio that's fine, I seldom look at the Nano during playback. My HD/SD monitor has the option to display's audio levels which I have now switched on and when I playback via HDMI or SDI I can see the audio from the Nano.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #25
Convergent Design

Quote:
Should I be getting a different picture quality when I use the SDI vs. the HDMI inputs? We are capturing video game footage out of a XBox 360 going into the nanoFlash via HDMI. The editors were complaining of crushed blacks. I switched to the SDI input and all is well. The new signal path is HDMI out of the XBox into a nanoConnect, out of the nanoConnect HD-SDI into the nanoFlash. Is this a known issue? Any thoughts on why this is happening? Here's my setup:

XBox 360 HDMI out to
nanoConnect HD-SDI out to
nanoFlash 1.0.112
SanDisk Extreme IV 16GB
LongGOP, 50Mbps, MXF
Import to Avid 4.0.2

Unfortunately I don't have anything that can generate bars that has HDMI output. Please advise...
Hi Ted-
Just as a follow-up on the color issue with the HDMI out of the XBOX, we were able to duplicate the issue in our lab today. We see the problem with the crushed blacks and were able to make a fix to our firmware.

If you would like a beta copy to test, please send an e-mail to support at convergent-design.com. Otherwise it will be included in the next firmware update.

Best-
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #26
New Boot

Great news! Thanks, Mike. Does that mean you got an Xbox for the lab? You know... For "testing"
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #27
Convergent Design

Quote:
Great news! Thanks, Mike. Does that mean you got an Xbox for the lab? You know... For "testing"
Hi Ted-
One of our guys in manufacturing area brought in his XBOX as a temporary loaner, it cost us a BBQ lunch, but it was worth it.

Best-
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:00 PM   #28
New Boot

HDMI Issue still present

Hey Mike,

I just updated the firmware on our units to 1.1.150 and I'm still seeing this issue with crushed blacks when using the HDMI input. Any thoughts? Is this only on the HDMI output of the XBox? This time I'll take you up on that beta testing if it's still an option.

Thanks,
TedO
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:11 PM   #29
New Boot

Whoops! Just looked at the firmware notes and it mentions "HDMI input color setting menu option" Going to go check that out. BRB!!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM   #30
New Boot

That did it! Setting it to the Legal setting works great and now the signal is identical to the SDI input. Thanks for the fix!!!
Ted O'Brien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey