I-Frame vs Long GOP --> xfer to film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I-Frame vs Long GOP --> xfer to film

Hey guys,

I'm gearing up to shoot my first feature next summer and I'm trying to get some info on shooting I-Frame vs Long GOP using the NanoFlash if I plan to eventually, after editing, transfer to film for distribution purposes.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Cheers,

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Major Player

I've just shot a 10 minutes short at 100Mbps and the picture looks gorgeous.
As have been widely stated (and demonstrated) LG is much more efficient than Intraframe.
In theory Intraframe should be better for highly moving images, but I start to think that LGOPs with the adequate data rate will work as good.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

SFX or greenscreen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal McAlexander View Post
Hey guys,

I'm gearing up to shoot my first feature next summer and I'm trying to get some info on shooting I-Frame vs Long GOP using the NanoFlash if I plan to eventually, after editing, transfer to film for distribution purposes.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Cheers,

Micheal
Micheal, are you doing any special effects or greenscreen?
If yes, I-frame is arguably a better bet, as each frame is self-contained, but I haven't actually tested this theory yet.
Grading is the other thing that might be affected.

The best thing would be to do some shooting tests if you can.

I think I read somewhere that 160Mbps long GOP is considered effectively lossless.

Regards

Dave C
Dave Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Michael,

At this moment in time, we feel that the 100 Mbps Long-GOP is the sweet spot.

Our even higher bit-rate Long-GOP are even better. We currently offer 50/100/140/160 Mbps Long-GOP, shortly it will be 50/100/140/180 Mbps.

And we offer 100/140/160/220 Mbps I-Frame Only, with 280 coming soon.

The differences between our high-bit rate Long-GOP and our much high bit-rate I-Frame Only are very minor in terms of image quality. We are splitting hairs.

To be clear, I mean comparisons of our "options" versus our other "options".

If one compares "our" high quality options to another competitor's high quality option, I believe that you will find our footage to be superior, lower noise.

Now, for practical advice:

If you are editing in Final Cut Pro you may choose our Long-GOP or I-Frame Only options.

At this moment in time, for Avid, you may use 50 Mbps Long-GOP or any I-Frame Only option. We are working with Avid to obtain full support for our higher quality Long-GOP options.

Long-GOP is always more efficient than I-Frame Only, our highest bit-rate I-Frame Only options may have an ever so slight edge in image quality; this is "Splitting Hairs".

Film-out with out high-quality options works great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey