General question for nanoflash... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

General question for nanoflash...

Hello,
i am waiting for the new EX1R and i am interesting to have a backup for my recordings.
Is nanoflash do this?
Is it something like solid state recording?
What is the connection between camera and nanoflash?
I can also record dvcam to nanoflash or only HD???
And how i will be able to output my material to non linear editing?
Is there a firewire?
Looking forward to your reply
Giannis Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Major Player

You could use a nanoflash as a backup recorder, but since it can produce files much higher in quality than your camera's built in recorder, you would probably use the nanoflash as the primary and your internal recorder as the backup.

Nanoflash records to solid state devices. Compact Flash cards to be specific.

It connects to your camera via an SDI connection (or HD-SDI as some call it). This is a coaxial cable with a male BNC at each end.

Nanoflash records at many different bitrates and a few different filetypes. However, it does not do cross conversion in the unit. If you want to record SD, you need to send the Nano an SD signal. If you send it an HD signal, you can record HD. I recommend you download the manual for a full list of file formats and bitrates.

To use the files in your NLE, eject the compact flash card from the Nano. Plug the card into the included CF to USB adapter. Plug the CF to USB adapter into your computer. Start your NLE, select the files on the CF card and put them on your timeline and start editing.

There is no firewire today, nor do you need it.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey