CF card matrix - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 31st, 2009, 06:42 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

The Maximum Bit-Rate that we list for the CompactFlash cards, is the highest bit-rate that we recommend, based on our testing, that can be used with the specific cards.

But, as you have noted, we limit our Long-GOP modes to a maximum of 180 Mbps, and our I-Frame Only modes to 280 Mpbs.

But, of course, to use these maximum bit-rates, one has to use a CompactFlash card that has the write performance to match.

Long-GOP is generally considered to be about 2 to 2.5 times as efficcient as I-Frame Only, so both 180 Mbps Long GOP and 280 Mbps I-Frame Only provide very high quality images.

In fact, our 100 Mbps Long-GOP is what we typically recommend for almost everyone.

Exceptions: For big-budget films, 140/180 Long-GOP and 280 Mbps I-Frame Only can offer slight quality advantages in certain rare situations. Think of it as insurance for the scene that has an excessive amount of detail, or an extreme amount of movement.

For almost all productions, 100 Mbps Long-GOP provides a level of quality that meets their needs.
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:45 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Please note that we have fully qualified the Delkin 64 GB CompactFlash card.
Old December 31st, 2009, 07:10 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

Please note that we have fully qualified the Delkin 64 GB CompactFlash card.
That's great news! Same bitrates as the Extreme Pro?
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 07:14 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Long-GOP is generally considered to be about 2 to 2.5 times as efficcient as I-Frame Only, so both 180 Mbps Long GOP and 280 Mbps I-Frame Only provide very high quality images.

In fact, our 100 Mbps Long-GOP is what we typically recommend for almost everyone.
I agree! 100Mbps is the sweet spot!

Quote:
Exceptions: For big-budget films, 140/180 Long-GOP and 280 Mbps I-Frame Only can offer slight quality advantages in certain rare situations. Think of it as insurance for the scene that has an excessive amount of detail, or an extreme amount of movement.
Birds (the feathered variety) is where I'm using high bitrates at the moment to try and get the best detail possible, much like I can with my stills. The results are awesome! Superb feather detail including seeing the immense detail in the eyes too!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:03 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

The SanDisk Extreme Pro is a much faster card, and it can be used up to 280 Mbps with the nanoFlash.

The PhotoFast 533x 64 GB card, and the Delkin 64 GB card are currently limited to 220 Mbps. We may be able to obtain 280 Mbps out of these cards in the future, but we are not promising this at this time.

It is certainly nice to be able to record, at 50 Mbps, for 5.3 hours continuously with two 64 GB cards. Or 2.6 hours at 100 Mbps.
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:11 AM   #21
Major Player

Happy New Year to you and all the NanoFlash contributors. Thanks for that information Dan I have found that 50 Mbps recording on NanoFlash for long duration work looks far better than DVcam tape. I now make a quick copy of the CF cards and then edit directly from the CF cards which saves a lot of time. I am now using one 64GB card and one 16GB card gives me 196 min eliminating the need for card swapping.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hey Dan,

Any news on options for 64GB/280Mbps cards other than the pricey SanDisks?

Cheers,

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear Michael,

We will be attempting to get more speed out of the PhotoFast and Delkin 64 GB cards. Thus, those with those cards, if we are successful, will get to use 280 Mbps.

Also, we are currently investigating another 64 GB card that, according to the spec's, will provide 280 Mbps performance.
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #24
Regular Crew

awesome... I'm planning a feature this summer using the Nano and I really want to shoot at 280 to have the highest quality in case I want to do a film-out for distro... it would make the production workflow better if I could have two sets of cards (one set in the Nano while shooting and one set being offloaded by a DIT)

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey