Power button not working? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 17th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #31
Sponsor: Westside AV

Hi Dan,

I am ordering a few slide switches to test. I think they would be the best, rockers, button or levers would be to easy to flick by mistake.

I will let you know if I find a reliable one.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Dear Olaf,

Some type of small, locking, slide switch would be nice.
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Dan,

I didn't have time to read through all of the posts in this thread, but it seemed to me that the problem in that using the method you suggest (with no power switch) doesn't allow a user to disable the nano's automatic recording without either pulling the power cable or the SDI cable at the camera or at the nano.

Especially for those of us with tape-based cameras, there might be times where we want to record to tape only. Being able to shut the nano down without leaving a cable or two dangling would be nice.

Having a working power switch that could be disabled from the menu would seem ideal.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

We would love to have a menu option for "Automatic Power On", but this requires a hardware change, so this is not possible at this time.

We do have a menu option at this time, Trigger: None, which prevents the nanoFlash from recording.

We will continue to try to find a way to ensure that everyone is happy.

I am curious, why would you want to record to tape and not to the nanoFlash? If you are going to use the footage, the nanoFlash footage would, in almost all cases, be better.
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Dan,

Yes, I understand the current hardware doesn't allow that option. I was suggesting it as a modification when/if nanos are returned for power switch repairs. This is assuming CD can find a suitable, reliable replacement power switch and that you could add the firmware choice to bypass it as an option.

IRT recording to tape only... I don't know how often that might happen. Let's say a second producer walks onto an interview set to ask the subject a few questions for a secondary production. In that case, we usually put in a separate tape that the second producer can take with him/her... and they might have no need or capability for the CF recording. It would be nice to be able to power the system down for that and not take up space on the cards being used for the primary production.

This situation has happened to me many times in the 25 years I have been shooting... although not since I have had my nano. It's usually a last minute thing, but it does happen. And for any scenario I can come up with, I'm sure there are 10 other scenarios where it would be handy to be able to power the system down with a power switch.

In an indoor tripod mounted situation, a dangling cable is not a problem, but it is if the camera is handheld. Anyway... just consider the working power switch with the ability to disable it another wish list item.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #36
Major Player

Hello Dan,
I have again experienced an unexpected power down on the NanoFlash while I was recording a time lapse sequence. About 30 min in into the record session the Nanoflash shut down. This time the Nano was on my EX3 with a different wiring harness than last time. I checked the camera was still operating and the battery was about half capacity. I again checked voltage and for faulty cable connections to the Nano and the connections where Ok. I then restarted the NanoFlash and it continued to record until the battery was drained about 90 min.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

I have sent you an email.

We will be replacing your nanoFlash as, of course, this is not normal behavior.
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #38
Contributor

Hi Dan I've seen inline slide switches before -usually on headsets. Not sure where you would source them but I know one thing - you're more likely to find them in the US than downunder!
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey