Nano with Helicopter Shooting, EX1, handheld Gyro HELP what settings? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 21st, 2009, 04:47 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Never used the Nano but did think about getting one a while back and I assumed that for shooting slomo the I Frame codec would be best. The reason being that if you shoot Long GOP and take it into Cinema Tools to conform you first have to transcode it to ProRes or another I Frame codec. This is very time-consuming and loses some quality. Going straight from I Frame just involves a very quick conform step. Had this same thing with the PDW700, shooting 720/60P for slomo on XDCam 422 long GOP.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:57 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Our higher bit rate I-Frame Only modes, 220 Mbps and 280 Mbps produce excellent quality video.

So, if one wants to shot in slow-mo, and has the card capacity, and is using fast cards, then this is a great way to go.
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Alister wow a total loss Olof is right nice to walk away. In my opinion flying backwards is not a good thing no matter what machine. Better prep of the shot is the safe way to go. We auto rotate at least once a month as a team to practice the pilot does it more. As long as there is a time for a hard flare you are set. We are suppose to go and check out the R66 next year should be interesting. The R44 is excellent if tuned, tracked, and balanced properly.

Steve I did my first time laps today on the Nano at I-Frame 280Mbps. Will look at it tonight but as Dan said the 220 and 280 I-Frame are very nice.

Dan what timeline is best to drop the 280 I-Frame on in FC?
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

XDCam 4:2:2 CBR
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:42 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks Dan I will try that now great timing. I was going to put it on XDCAM 422 50Mbps but I will go CBR instead thanks.

I will start shooting with the PMW-350/Nano this weekend will let you know how it goes.
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

I should have said:

XDCam 50 Mbps 4:2:2 CBR

Please let us know how your new PMW-350 does!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:28 AM   #22
Inner Circle

HUM will not run smooth. I will start another thread on this one so I don't hijack this one.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:26 AM   #23
New Boot

Hi guys

Thanks for all your help, I know a lot more than when I started this thread, however I am more confused than when I started. As a back up I am going to record 720p and crank up the frame rate for slowmo in the ex1, will this effect the signal going to the nano? I just want a non slowmo version going to the nano.

In the nano not sure whether to go for iframe or long GOP the client for first viewing wants this on a DVD so smoothness is key, from reading here iframe sounds to be easier to conform than long GOP, in terms of quality what is equivalent to Long GOP 100mbs in iframe? I dont have enough memory cards for iframe 220 or above.

Thanks for the info the shoot is tomorrow in the 206 hope it does not go backwards most of the shooting is over water so better take my swimming trunks.
Jonathan Le Marchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:36 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Jonathan I would go Long GOP unless you can shoot I-Frame at 220 minimum. Less then that and Long GOP is better results in my testing.

Be safe, enjoy the shoot, and lets us know how you make out.
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #25
New Boot

Just a quick thank you to the guys who contributed to this thread.

My Settings used on flight day were 720p on the ex1 with over cranking maxed in camera onto sXs cards, on the nano flash LONG GOP 100mbs.

The long GOP ended up to be smoother and more detailed with the steadicam filter applied from FCP 7. Some of the shots even without the steadicam filter worked, maybe 30% of a 10 min video. Flight time was 1 hour 2 KS8 Gyros with hand held stabiliser and a foam pillar to rest arms on.

Thanks again.

Jonathan
Jonathan Le Marchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Glad you are happy with the results Jonathan.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey