JVC HM700 and NanoFlash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Contributor

JVC HM700 and NanoFlash

Working straight out of the HDSDI this is an excellent combination. I pulled a chroma key that was better than anything I'd ever got with digibeta and has to be said the screen wasn't perfect. Reasonably well lit but it is just a cheapy roll of fabric purchased from a photographic store - not a proper digital chroma key colour at all.

A couple of minor hiccups to overcome in post - recording 1080i50 100Mbps longGOP in MXFformat. Timecode is out by 3 frames on the CD footage as opposed to the SD cards recorded on the camera - is there a way to address this? Timcode on the CD footage will be 3 frames "behind" the SD card. eg 00:00:00:03 on SD would be 00:00:00:00 on the CD footage. Not such a big deal unless there was a way to use the SD 35Mbps as "proxies" for the CD footage.

More importantly the audio lags by 2 frames. I suspect this is more an issue for JVC than CD but thought it worthwhile reporting in case there's a fix down the track.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear John,

What firmware are you using?

This is found under System|About.
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #3
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear John,

What firmware are you using?

This is found under System|About.
Dan it is 1.0.112
mp2 codec 1.02.06
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear John,

We made many improvements in our firmware 1.1.154.

Could you please upgrade to the latest firmware then test again?

One of the improvements is an 18 Mbps 4:2:0 Proxy mode.

There are many others.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Contributor

Thanks Dan - won't be back in Sydney until the 9th Jan. Will Upgrade and check then.
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #6
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
Working straight out of the HDSDI this is an excellent combination. I pulled a chroma key that was better than anything I'd ever got with digibeta and has to be said the screen wasn't perfect. Reasonably well lit but it is just a cheapy roll of fabric purchased from a photographic store - not a proper digital chroma key colour at all.

A couple of minor hiccups to overcome in post - recording 1080i50 100Mbps longGOP in MXFformat. Timecode is out by 3 frames on the CD footage as opposed to the SD cards recorded on the camera - is there a way to address this? Timcode on the CD footage will be 3 frames "behind" the SD card. eg 00:00:00:03 on SD would be 00:00:00:00 on the CD footage. Not such a big deal unless there was a way to use the SD 35Mbps as "proxies" for the CD footage.

More importantly the audio lags by 2 frames. I suspect this is more an issue for JVC than CD but thought it worthwhile reporting in case there's a fix down the track.
How does the triggering work?
Is that synced with the TC?
Stephan Mussil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Contributor

Triggering was set to timecode - worked well.
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:34 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Stephen,

The nanoFlash has a menu selectable option that allows the nanoFlash to start and stop according to the incoming timecode.

If the nanoFlash sees incrementing timecode, it records. When the timecode stops, it stops recording.

This is in the System|Trigger menu.

One can set it to record based on the timecode embedded in the HD/SD-SDI input stream, or based on external timecode (LTC - Linear Time Code).

To use LTC, one needs one of our timecode, or timecode with remote control, cables to expose the Timecode Input. These cables provide a BNC timecode input for the nanoFlash.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey