Question regarding file structure on NanoFlash CF Cards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Indeed, I failed to make distinction between mp4 and mp4 proxies.

Perhaps due to the fact that - while having many times dreamed of having proxies to the nanoFlash full HD clips - I sort of rejected it as not being viable with the current hardware, and bitrates available.
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Inner Circle

The idea of having proxies written in addition to full-res images is a VERY interesting one. Particularly for NLEs that do not access the media directly, but must copy it over first. I am not sure if systems like CompactFlash would support parallel write operations.

It would certainly be a boon to have DV sized proxy files at say 8-10 Mbps, encoded with the same encoder.
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #18
Regular Crew

ProxyMill might work for you

Perrone,

Check out ProxyMill. http://www.imagineproducts.com/index...&products_id=1

It is not quite the same as recording simultaneous .mp4 proxies but it's darn close. You have to back-up the CF cards somehow so doing it through a Mac with ProxyMill might do the trick for you.
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thank you Bob,

However, I have two problems with that.

1. I don't use a Mac.
2. I can do the same for free on the PC. :)

That looks like a nice option for Mac users though.
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Thread title changed from "Basic NanoFlash question" to "Question regarding file structure on NanoFlash CF Cards."

Please avoid ambiguous thread titles on DV Info Net. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Is it easier to emulate EX or HD...and do we need it?

This is an interesting point raised here - is it easier for a NanoFlash to emulate an EX card or an XDCAM disc, and which gives more benefit?

The Nano is producing 50Mbit files as MXFs with no proxy.
The EX produces 35Mbit files as MP4s with no proxy.
The XDCAM HD produces 50Mbit files as MXFs with a proxy.
In addition the card itself has to be named the right thing.

Clearly the Nano isn't about to start producing proxies, so the question is whether, if you create a clone of an XDCAM HD disc BUT without the proxies, is this recognised by NLE apps as a valid disc?
(It might be possible to test this by deleting the proxy files on an existing XDCAM disc)

Regarding editing off the card - that is effectively what Avid AMA gives you, and I don't know if that needs to see proxies to work or not.

CD have already stated that they are working on AMA support for Nano cards in Avid.

The FCP import tools from Sony already work with Nano cards, as they are less fussy about file structure etc.

I guess maybe it's only the PDZ-1 software on a PC that would benefit from this arrangement, but again it usually works off proxies which wouldn't be there.

So, I'm questioning my own assertion that this would be useful.
To be selfish I'd settle for Avid AMA support, but clearly there's other scenarios out there.

Dave C.
Dave Chalmers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey