Test Report: Long GOP 100 Mbps in Avid Media Composer 4.0.5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 14th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Trustee

Test Report: Long GOP 100 Mbps in Avid Media Composer 4.0.5

Hi Flash XDR & Nano Flash Users:

The following is my report to date on the use of Long GOP 100 Mbps data rate files from CD's implementation of the Sony XDCAM HD codec currently in use in the Flash XDR & Nano Flash products, and their use with Avid Media Composer 4.0.5.

A) Test Computer Specs:

*Avid Certified Workstation class Laptop PC. Model - HP nw9440 with 4 GB of DDR 2 667 MHz installed RAM running in the full two channel mode for maximum efficiency. nVidia FX 1500M graphics card running @ the full bandwidth PCI-E 16 X Lane speed with 512 MB's of dedicated GDDR3 on board RAM. The workstation PC has a SATA II 7200 RPM 100 GB system HDD. The HP nw9440 laptop is plugged into an HP advanced docking station with Express Card 54 interface. The docking station's Express Card interface is running an external hardware Raid capable eSATA II controller, which runs an external hardware raid 0 eSATA II hard drive enclosure. The external hard drive enclosure runs two A/V rated Hitachi 1 TB drives with special versions of 32 MegaByte caches in a raid 0 config with special hardware recoverable Raid safety system configured with a redundant Raid backup functionality. (Hardware based in the enclosure box's electronics)

B) Test OS Specs: Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 32 bit sans Internet connection and ZERO updates. (Updates actually screw up AMC operation - If you must update, then you should install Service Pack 3)

C) Test Results:

File Import = Pass.
Play in Source Window = Pass * Caveate (Intermittent Fiffo Error Message may appear in bottom left hand of window along with blank screen (Black) )
Play on Timeline = Pass * Caveate 2 (With intermittent Fiffo errors seen in the Record window, or in full screen mode when you hit stop. A dialogue in white letters appears in the lower Left of the Record window against black background)
Edit on Timeline = Pass.
Color Correct on Timeline = Pass.
Trim & Edit on Timeline = Pass.
Video Mixdown = Fail.
Transcode to another format or codec = Fail.
General export to various Quicktime Movie Formats = All Fail.

**Workaround: You have Four possible workarounds to try in this situation with Avid Media Composer.

1. Shoot in Long GOP 100 Mbps and play out from timeline via Avid Mojo (SD NTSC Video Realtime Transcode), Mojo DX (HD_SDI or HDMI full HD resolution), or Nitris DX (Full HD resolution) external hardware video interface, Adrenalin box (Compressed HD resolutions).
2. Shoot in Long GOP 50 Mbps and all Media Composer clip based workflow functions of Import, Edit, and Export are available to you.
3. Shoot in I-Frame (Intra) mode in any data rate, thus all clip based workflow functions of Import, Edit, and Export are available to you.
4. Shoot in Long GOP 100 or higher and simply play out in realtime from XDR or Nano into your Avid Media Composer via HD_SDI realtime capture using whatever editing codec you wish.

D) Personal Recommendations & Comments:

** Forget the whole pain in the neck thing and use Final Cut Pro 7.x and record in .MOV QT format. (This option looks good on the surface, but in many cases is *NOT* a viable option because the Studio or TV network does not accept Final Cut in their post production workflows. Check with your post facility first before progressing if you are shooting for professional TV network or originating footage for later film out for cinema release.

*** If as high an image quality as possible is an absolute pre-requisite, then shoot in I-Frame 280 Mbps and then all clip based workflow functionality is open to you in media composer.

**** The best compromise for quality vs storage space with post in Media Composer is Long GOP 50Mbps in my opinion. I certainly would prefer the Long GOP 100 Mbps files, but until Avid makes these data rate MXF files compatible with their Media Composer app, then 50 Mbps also looks pretty darn good and should give you no problems with your clip based workflow.

***** Perhaps the most elegant solution possible in this situation is to shoot in whatever format and data rate you wish, then simply play out your footage from the Nano or XDR in realtime while setting your capture via HD-SDI or HDMI into Media Composer using one of their external hardware solutions. In this way you can capture with any form of codec, compression, or even no compression if you wish ! This option gives you the greatest possible workflow flexibility in the Media Composer post workflow.

******* It is interesting to note there has been at least one report from another user who has been able to obtain a different result importing Long GOP 100 Mbps data files from a Nano Flash recorder into Media Composer 4.0.5. I cannot account for why one person can get more functionality out of their Avid NLE than I was able in my rather extensive testing, but I certainly can confirm that all of my testing was performed on a 100 % Avid certified system, which is properly configured and performs flawlessly with all other video HD and SD formats delivered to me from professional clients thus far - Except Long GOP 100 Mbps MXF data files from my Flash XDR. You can check my test system's qualifications for use with Avid Media Composer by clicking on

Knowledge Base

Go to the pdf on page 24 of the Avid Media Composer 4.0.5 Readme, where it lists what systems are certified for use with AMC 4.0.5.

I look forward to Avid's adoption of the higher data rate Long GOP files from CD's CF recorders soon. I think Long GOP 100 looks very good indeed versus its file sizes and relatively low data rate. Let's hope for the best :-)
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Mark,
Thanks a lot for your report.
I work with FC but some friends works with AVID and would be very good to be able to share my footage.
Cheers,
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for The Thanks :-)

Hi Rafael:
You are welcome :-)
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey