Exporting AVID MXF to Nanoflash?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 16th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting AVID MXF to Nanoflash?!

Hi guys,

is there an easy way of exporting a nanoflash playable/compatible MXF file out of Avid? I know that you can export MXF files out of Avid in different flavours (like 35Mbit/50Mbits). The files play back on my camera nicely but Iīd be interested in copying the files directly onto Nanoflash for playback.

Thanks so much,
Emanuel
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Emanuel,

No, not at this time.

We have a way to do it for Final Cut Pro at this time, but not for Avid.

If you have an HD-SDI output on your Avid system, then just record from that.
However, I assume that your question was how to do it if you did not have HD-SDI or HDMI out.
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Emanuel,

We have not tested this, but if you can create a Sony XDCam 50 Mbps CBR file, from Avid, in Quicktime format, our File Converter may work.

However, this is a long shot since we have not tested it.
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Iīll test that and report back. Thanks for your quick reply!
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Emanuel,

Thanks, that would be helpful.
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

unfortunately that didnīt work here. The MOV was not accepted by the CD file converter.
Also, exporting an MXF directly out of AVID, rename it to Nanoflash standards, doesnīt correctly take it - it shows it as 480p59 on the Nanoflash, even though itīs been rendered out of a HD 50i project. This could however also be related to the fact that Nanoflash supports only 2 tracks of audio at the moment and the XDCAM sequence out of AVID has 8 embedded audio tracks. The exported MXF plays fine in XDCAM transfer and when reimporting into a new project but Nanoflash doesnīt like it. I wonder whether there might be a chance for compatibility with the new firmware supporting more audio tracks?!

Would be great if a feature like this was implemented soon.
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Emanuel,

Yes, it was a long shot.

Do you have any way to play an Avid timeline to HD-SDI or HDMI?

If so, you could record the file in the nanoFlash.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; February 13th, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Emanuel: did you try doing an audio and video mixdown before export? Just a thought...
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Bill,
will try that first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for that! Am already curious.

Dan,
at the moment unfortunately not. But am seriously thinking of upgrading to something like the Mojo-DX.
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Re: Exporting AVID MXF to Nanoflash?!

We are monitoring our projects on a Matrox MXO2 Mini at the moment. So we do have HDMI out which works perfectly well on our monitors. However, the Nanoflash obviously sees our Avid video stream as an encrypted signal and downconverts to 480p or doesnīt even allow us to record at all. Sometimes it would be nice to record a stream of video straight out of the AVID as a reference. We wonīt use it for proper finishing anyway, but the Nanoflash blocks our HDMI out from the MXO2Mini. I guess thatīs because the Nanoflash thinks it is encrypted material, am I right?

Thanks!
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Emanuel,

If the "Broadcast Flag" is set (in the signal output by Avid), then your Maxtrox gear has to determine the type of device it is.

Then, it will downconvert to a SD signal, if the external device is a recorder.

Could you check with Avid and/or Matrox? If this is your material, the Broadcast Flag should not be set, and we should be able to record your video.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Emanuel,

To add to what Dan had mentioned this would be a function of the Maxtorx or the Avid System,

since the nanoFlash cannot up or down convert the signal that is given to us (Due to hardware constraints)

But this should work just fine, In our Lab we have used HDMI and SDI cards with the nanoFlash and it has worked with no issue (Also note this is with Final Cut 7)

But I will try to do a test with the same card and Avid 5.5

Best Regards
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:52 AM   #13
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Emanuel,

No, not at this time.

We have a way to do it for Final Cut Pro at this time, but not for Avid.

If you have an HD-SDI output on your Avid system, then just record from that.
However, I assume that your question was how to do it if you did not have HD-SDI or HDMI out.
I'm sorry to resurrect a long dormant thread, but I would like to know if there are any plans to allow Avid exported XDCam mxf files to play on nanoflash. I know we can baseband record out, but a file-based method would be faster and more convenient (especially for multiple long clips like a looping background element).

Any updates on this workflow is appreciated, and if anyone has developed a workaround to playing xdcam mxf files exported from Avid on a nanoflash I would be very interesting in hearing it.

Thanks for reading.
Tom Loftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Major Player

I would think the file will have to be exported as Sony XDcam files for it to possibly work. How would the Nano create its TOC folder?
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:19 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel Altenburger View Post
We are monitoring our projects on a Matrox MXO2 Mini at the moment. So we do have HDMI out which works perfectly well on our monitors. However, the Nanoflash obviously sees our Avid video stream as an encrypted signal and downconverts to 480p or doesnīt even allow us to record at all. Sometimes it would be nice to record a stream of video straight out of the AVID as a reference. We wonīt use it for proper finishing anyway, but the Nanoflash blocks our HDMI out from the MXO2Mini. I guess thatīs because the Nanoflash thinks it is encrypted material, am I right?

Thanks!
Hi Emanuel, i remember that i did record to nano from my MXO2 mini and that was with avid 5.5. Now i have MC6 and i can check that again if you like... but i'm sure i have done it different times, but if i remember correctly it was with another firmware (nano) and not the last one...now we are waiting for the new nano flash firmware..hope it will come sooooon!!!!
regards
Samer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey