Mounting a nanoFLASH on V Mount Batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 25th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Mounting a nanoFLASH on V Mount Batteries

I have been looking for a mount that can place the nanoFLASH on my IDX ENDURA-10 Batteries. I think I’ve finally found it!!! Take a look at the Instruction Manual for the IDX A-MWR Universal Wireless Receiver Mounting Bracket.

I’m not sure of the price yet but it looks like the ticket! If anyone has tried it please let me know your thoughts!

Happy shooting,

Paul
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks Paul that's a great find just what I need.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Lance,

Me too :-) I am hoping to get my hands on one ASAP so I'll let you know how i get on!
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Okay for those of you interested in mounting the nanoFLASH off the back of your V-Mount Batteries here’s my off-the-shelf solution! I have finally got my hands on the IDX A-MWR. I don’t know how to post images here so here’s a link to my blog post entitled ‘My ultimate nanoFLASH Set-Up’ which has three images of the set-up.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Paul looks nice. How stiff is the bracket?
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Paul,

The bracket is very rigid and well made; more than up to the job of securing a nano plus a large receiver. If anything I’d say the weakest link is the V Mount itself (if you could say that is weak).

How are you finding the PMW-350 / nano combo?
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Paul,

It looks stiff.

Then Nano/350 combo is fantastic. Test Canon HJ and Fujinon HA glass this week which will be a step up from the stock lens.

Have you been happy with the purchase? Are you using stock glass or have you sprung for then next step up?
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Paul,

I haven't yet purchased the PMW-350 and a second nano. I am hoping early April :-)

I'm thinking of getting just the body and putting what I've saved on the stock lens into a quality HD lens (hoping for a good deal, hence why I'm waiting a little, plus I don't actually need the cam until late July, so no rush).

I've seen some very clean 350/nano files in low light compared to my EX3/nano which is my main reason for the to be purchase (mind you having a 2/3" full shoulder mounted cam will also be a very nice addition!).
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Agree Paul the image is very clean from the 350/nano. I only checked the SxS files a couple of times since I always use the Nano files and they were also very nice.

Good move going for better glass but I also think the stock lens is worth buying. For the money is works well and if you have a job were the lens could get beat up it will come out of my bag. Also the rarely needed auto focus might come in handy. I used the auto focus last week when I had to leave the camera running while going to another camera to run and switched on the auto focus. The camera did a decent job of staying focused on the movement in the frame.

Having the EX3/350/Nano is a nice combination.
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Paul,

Yes having a stock lens with the ability to auto-focus maybe something worth having at times. I suppose it isn’t that expensive in the scheme of things! Cheap enough to get beaten up to :-) I had a friend who was filming otters with a rented EX3 and one took a chuck out of his lens hood!

I totally agree having the Ex3/350/nano combo will be awesome! We’ve never have it so good!
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #11
Major Player

Just a quick update for all those that are interested! I have put a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Adaptor ‘Low Profile’ between the A-MWR and the nanoFLASH. This is great as now I don’t have to keep screwing it in and out. It’s just a case of click in place and shifting a lever to release it!

I am hoping to put some images up on my blog later this week or at the weekend showing the QR system! IMO this is definitely the best mounting option I’ve tried (and I’ve tried quite a few!).
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Paul,
Can you let us know who sell's the bracket and how much?
Many thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi Lance,

Well here in the UK it can be bought from Siren Technology for £258.50 (including VAT). It’s a fairly new product that is filtering through and I’m sure that any IDX Stockist could get you one in for a special order. I know it isn’t showing on the Able Cine or B&H Websites but I’m sure it will soon. I see that Adorama have it on their website for $259.95 though.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey