NanoFlash For EX3 HD 2 SD Down Conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 29th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Major Player

NanoFlash For EX3 HD 2 SD Down Conversion

The best way to down convert EX3 HD vision is to set the EX3 SDI to SD out and record the vision simultaneously to SxS and the NanoFlash. I had some vision on my SxS cards that needed to be down convert quickly for a client.

This is another method of Down Converting EX3 SxS HD vision using the NanoFlash. I set the EX3 into Media mode, select the Menu and set the SDI output to SD. I then set the NanoFlash to internal timecode. I then selected the files that I want to play on the EX3 press play and at the same time press record on the NanoFlash. The NanoFlash will then record the SDI SD vision at 50Mbps. Then I ingest the nanoflash files into the NLE. This has given me a higher quality a real time quick SD down conversion than the camera's analogue outputs.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Great idea, Lance!

Even when I know I'll need SD version of my recording, it somehow has always been a tough decision for me to use my nano in SD mode (considering I always strive for the best quality possible). Your method allows to downrez only the clips I need, and still have 2 copies of the highest quality HD!

Have you compared your nano SD output created this way, to the ClipBrowser HD->SD downconversion? Which looks better?
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Hello Piotr,
I have tried Clip Browser the down conversion is better than the the camera but not as good as the SDI to Nanoflash. The Nanoflash recording of the down converted images have better colour saturation cleaner edges.
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Nano for Down Conversion

That is a great idea... I just shot with my Nano for the first time today... worked like a charm. What a great device with so many uses to extend the reach of existing gear.

I registered it yesterday and asked them to please wait a month or two before coming out with a new model at half the price. I think we all fear dropping cash for gear and the next best thing comes out the next week.
Old January 31st, 2010, 01:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear George,

We have no intention of coming out with a new model at one-half the price, I can assure you that this is not in our plans.

We introduced the nanoFlash at NAB last year, at $3,999.

We reduced the price to $2,895 before we started shipping.

There is a lot of technology, and very expensive parts, in the nanoFlash. We could not reduce the price to one-half the price, even if we wanted to.
Old January 31st, 2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Nanoflash

Thanks Dan,

Good to know... really a request made partly in jest, but I don't think I am the only freelancer that is watching with amazement or anger at the constant product roll-outs by the likes of Sony. In the post-Betacam era more and more calls come in for a certain camera instead of certain video specs. The genius of the Nanoflash is now I can offer multiple formats with just two cameras (EX-3 and HDX-900).
My HDX-900 can be a file based camera-- very cool.

The Nanoflash will allow all of us to sell either 1080 or 720 delivered for FCP or Avid thus a more economically sustainable business model. I have gotten calls for the Sony 700, but at $30K just did not make sense especially with its 50Mbps recording capability. Then add a few thousand here and there for software.....
Old January 31st, 2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Piotr,
I have a Mac Pro 10.6 Snow Leopard with Quicktime X the reason why I can not use Sony's XDCAM EX CLIP BROWSER 2.6 is that on my CLIP BROWSER will not export the whole clip. When I down covert a clip say 29.20 sec clip I end up with a 15.20 sec clip even though I set the clips 1st and last Frame and when I export check the whole clip box. I am not sure if it’s a QT, Browser or OS problem if anyone can help with info that I would really appreciate it.
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Major Player

George you should be thankful that Panasonic, Sony and Canon have higher end products that they don't want to cannibalize sales from. That is the ONLY reason the obsolescent rate isn't even faster than it is right now.

With the nanoFlash you have the potential to produce material that qualifies to most outfits as "broadcast compliant" for only 3 grand. One should also be quietly thankful that new markets to sell footage are now accessible without having to drop +$50,000 on a camera/lens and so on.

It may seem expensive when people are getting in at the lower end of the prosumer market but billing opportunities go up considerably with a unit like this.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey