A Crucial Workflow Question for the XDR & Nano at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Trustee

A Crucial Workflow Question for the XDR & Nano

Hi Mike, Tommy & Dan:
I received an email from a fellow producer/EXR 3 shooter, who is doing a foreign location shoot for a TV Network production, and the network has specified XDCAM HD 50 Mbit codec origination to delivery on HDCAM SR master. The man is thinking of purchasing a Nano for the production, but needs to be able to integrate Nano .mxf files into his Network post workflow. I suggested the following possibility...................

1. Shoot with an XDR or Nano Flash @ Long GOP 50 Mbps.
2. Post natively in standard Network Avid Media Composer 4.0.5 NLE app (Which they're using for post.)
3. Output edited sequence as XDCAM HD back to CF card.
4. Insert CF card into XDR or nano and playout via HD-SDI output to HDCAM SR VTR Master. *Network must have delivery on HDCAM SR.

I remember making some posts a few weeks back about enabling the XDR's RS-422 interface, so it could be used precisely in this manner. I predicted many TV shooters need such a solution, now I'm getting email requests from such wondering what is the best workflow to get them there, so here's what I need to know................

1. Is it possible to output an XDCAM HD 50 Mbps edited sequence from Avid Media Composer which can be played back in realtime out of the XDR or Nano ? If so, what is the necessary procedure to do so ? Folder & File structure ?

2. Is there any development being done for the XDR's RS-422 interface to facilitate pause/cue-Record interface with an HDCAM SR VTR ? (For specific TV Network master application delivery. This is what they're asking for.)

I think this is a niche where a Nano and in particular, an XDR could truly shine (Because it has an RS-422 Interface for the HDCAM SR VTR) at a TV Network level to introduce a direct clip based workflow which fits their Network's existing post structure. Please advise.

Respectfully,
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
3. Output edited sequence as XDCAM HD back to CF card.
If one has a HD-SDI or proper HDMI output, then one can record the edited sequence in the Flash XDR or nanoFlash.

If not, then the nanoFlash will probably not recognize the footage copied to a CompactFlash card and inserted into the Flash XDR or nanoFlash.

We will be enabling the RS-422 on the Flash XDR and the RS-232 and RS-485 interfaces on the nanoFlash.

Quote:
1. Is it possible to output an XDCAM HD 50 Mbps edited sequence from Avid Media Composer which can be played back in realtime out of the XDR or Nano ? If so, what is the necessary procedure to do so ? Folder & File structure ?
I am assuming that you mean render an edited sequence, then copy the rendered file to a CompactFlash card.

Our File Converter which is designed to do the above, only works with Final Cut Pro footage at this time.

Quote:
2. Is there any development being done for the XDR's RS-422 interface to facilitate pause/cue-Record interface with an HDCAM SR VTR ? (For specific TV Network master application delivery. This is what they're asking for.)
We want to implement this, but we are busy finishing a major firmware update at this time.
This update does not include this feature, but it does include quite a few other features.
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #3
Trustee

Encouraging Updates Dan :-)

Hi Dan:
OK. Thanks for addressing these questions in such a timely manner Dan. This is always appreciated. What I've done is invite the gentleman to come to dvinfo.net and follow and participate in this thread if he so desires. I think he needed a very fast response and I answered him privately, then asked him to head over here.
Avid Media Composer edited sequences seldom require heavy rendering unless there's many lower thirds and 2nd and 3rd sub level effects embedded into the edited clips on the timeline. Anything in MC requiring rendering is automatically done in render on the fly or as part of the actual export process of the edited movie. (Referred to as a Sequence in Avid)
Your first suggestion to simply perform a digital cut (Playout timeline via Avid Mojo Dx or Nitris DX, or Adrenaline hardware box via HD-SDI into an XDR or Nano is not available to him. The producer only has an Avid MOJO SDI box (That's an SD resolution only box) and the network wants Full Raster HD. I proposed a simpler clip based approach in the hope he could do with Avid what you wrote can be done with Final Cut Pro footage and your copy utility.

*How about updating the copy utility to work with Avid .mxf clips ?

Observation: The SONY XDCAM HD 50 Mbps codec is becoming standard and the preferred codec with TV networks.

I am editing a production right now shot in XDCAM HD 50 Mbps from an external USB 2.0 HDD. The XDCAM HD 50 Mbps codec is much less CPU intensive to decode in realtime then decoding the HDV 25 Mbps codec in Avid. I can edit and playback full screen-full resolution HD video (Green/Green setting) from a USB drive. (Try the same thing with HDV - It won't work at full rez playback in AMC !)
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

Yes, we would very much like to expand our File Converter so we can support systems other than Final Cut Pro.

I do not know when we can get to it.

At this time, a higher priority is to create multiple versions of our file converter so that the File Converter can be used on PC's.
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi Mike, Tommy & Dan:
...and the network has specified XDCAM HD 50 Mbit codec origination to delivery on HDCAM SR master.
Ending in HDCAM is a pity to shoot just 50mbps.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Trustee

XDCAM HD Post Limitations in Avid Media Composer

Hi Rafael:
I agree with you, but all master tapes are recorded in HDCAM SR at Network now.
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey