What About A Separate Forum for The Flash XDR ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #16
Major Player

Well there are like EIGHT XDR units in the Cash Cab alone
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #17
Trustee

How Many XDR's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Mark,

We have built and sold hundreds of the Flash XDR's.

They are in use quietly around the world.

An example is David Paul, in New Zealand, who has been using them on multiple award winning productions. David has won some very nice awards.
Hi Dan:
Well Dan, that's great to know. I had hoped it was at least this kind of amount. Are you at liberty to write how many XDR's have been sold to date ? I was thinking of writing a general information description at Chris Hurd's invitation so he could make it into a sticky for this forum. I would like to include as much direct information as possible, such as date the XDR was first introduced to the market (Date Shipped ?), etc.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #18
Trustee

XDR's Silently Working in Productions Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome View Post
Well there are like EIGHT XDR units in the Cash Cab alone
..Hi Aaron: Yes indeed. I've known Discovery Canada has been using them on many location shoots all over Canada and around the world. But you just don't hear that much about it. The Nano Flash seems to get all the media attention these days ;-)
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #19
Major Player

We have both the XDR and the Nano. Happy with both (still on last non-beta firmware with both).

Obviously the Nano's smaller size/wt/price point make it popular.

But I think if CD did use the 4 card capacity of the XDR to raid for uncompressed or 10 bit capture, they would see a strong surge in sales and interest with this model.

They are both fine products - the XDR feels more rugged and has the obvious edge in the audio department.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #20
Major Player

Yes I would have popped for the XDR if 10bit uncompressed was available. The 24 bit phantom powered audio ins are hugely attractive to me as well but given all the other pluses of the nano including the smaller footprint I decided to go with it instead.

Hopefully, CD will become so successful that they go on a hiring spree so you people will get the development attention you require.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #21
Major Player

The size of the XDR is perfect for me. The nano would have actually been too small. Putting the battery and XDR at the back, balances out my camera rig perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
What About A Separate Forum for The Flash XDR ?-web.jpg  
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #22
Trustee

What About A Poll ?

Hi Andrew, John, and Aaron:
It would be interesting to conduct a poll here and see if we can get the XDR users to post in this thread and see how many of them would want the features like RS-422, FW, and 4 or 2 Stripe Raid for Uncompressed video capture option. Maybe if enough XDR users really wanted these features, then at least Convergent Design could calculate if it's worth it for them to go ahead with this development. (Maybe they already did this ?).

Aaron, seeing the XDR on the back of your Viper Camera makes me drool !
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey