Nano emulating a Sony XD700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 25th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Nano emulating a Sony XD700

Hi, just got a Nano and I have a shoot this weekend to test it out. I am shooting with an HDX900 and rolling tape as backup. Client is in Europe and typically uses the Sony PDW700/800 for field use. I've no experience with the Sony (only the PDW350, and never dealt with post).

I haven't heard the final word on settings, but for now, will assume 1080/25P. I have the Nano set to record MXF files, 50Mbps. Am I missing anything?

I've done a few test recordings and new cards, NF, camera all seem to behave like normal. I know I can bump up the data rate to 100Mbps or more... but I only am using two 64gb cards (Delkin) and don't want to overstretch my capacity. I would think 50Mbps is fine and standard.

I am excited to try out this little box, God knows I just spent a small fortune on it and the cards!
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello Scott,
I think you would be just fine with the 50MBps. What I would like to suggest to you is, shoot QT and convert to MXF if you need. It's much easier to find a Mac computer to do that using CD tool, rather trying to convert MXF to QT if need it. That way you would have many options to use any NLE. The time to convert from QT to MXF is not a real time, very swiftly done. Also, if you have to convert your QT to MXF, your original QT will stay as your Back up solution.
Although, you know best.
Cheers
Luben
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Scot

Just did the same almost.. first job with NF using my HDX900 with 2 X 64GB Delkin cards.
1080i/25p 50 Mbps recording tape same time.
The TC trigger is very useful as just have to hit record on the camera as normal.I did always give a quick check to see the flashing red light though.:)
About 5 and a half hrs at 50 Mbps.actually never went into the second card in any one day.

You might want to ask they if they want QT files if they are editing in FCP..? Make sure you check the progressive frame box in the menu..

On advise from others on this forum I used Monitor out for the SDI feed.. after making sure ALL the character out/ box/centre marker is OFF.. even take a SDI out from the NF to a monitor to check there is nothing there.. as I believe it will be recorded if there!!!! the video out character on switch can be easily switched on..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Major Player

I archive almost everything I shoot, so 50Mbps is my data rate.
Great picture for future use and reasonable file size.
Projects that won't be archived, at 100Mbps.
I've used higher data rate only for overcrancked shoots.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Scott:

To imulate the 700/800 settings on the HDX-900, I set my NanoFlash to the following:

50 Mbps
Long-GOP
MFX (my preference)

As mentioned by Robin, make sure you always use the "monitor out bnc" on the right side of the camera for your HDSDI into the Nanoflash. The "video out bnc" on the rear of the camera will screw up your video with unwanted character signal.

The only time you need to use the "video out bnc" for the Nano is when you need to record a SD signal into the NanoFlash from the HDX-900. The switch on the left side of the camera (HDSDI/SDI/VBS) only affects the "video out bnc". In this case select the SDI switch setting and place the "character switch" into the "off mode" and do a test to be sure. You will also have to go into the camera's menu and set the "video out bnc" up for a proper SD signal. Again, do a test to make sure you're happy with the SD picture quality. If not setup properly in the camera you will get a bit electronic edge which in turn you will need to adjust the detail levels in the SD menu on the HDX. Hopefully your clients are all HD.

Hope this helps.

Dusty
Dusty Powers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey