Delayed headphone audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 26th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Delayed headphone audio

Just checking with other users. There's a slight - maybe .25 second - delay on my headphones plugged into the nFlash. C-D says there shouldn't be...but I'm definitely hearing it whether EtoE is on or not. It makes interacting with the camera subject difficult - hard to get out a complete sentence without it sounding slow motion. I've taken to monitoring out of the EX instead but would prefer to have the security of the nF's beeping system.
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear David,

Did your post apply to our Second Public Beta, 1.5.126, or to a previous release.

I am assuming that it applies to the Second Public Beta.
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

It's still in the second public beta. I can't swear the delay is less than the first pubic beta but it may be. Reminds of the days of film double system with the Nagra PB head delay. When I first listened to it and tried to talk I immediately understood why sound men become a little strange :)

David
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Dan!

Yesterday, I was trying out the headphone gain control adjustments with the current production firmware (vers. 1.1.154) and noticed an audio lag as well from the headphone jack. I am using an EX3.

I didn't think much of it as I assumed the latency was from the HD-SDI output on the camera but now I am not so sure.

BTW, I, of course, was able to adjust the headphone gain in the menus (which I found to be quite acceptable in terms of the kinds of levels that you can select) but I could not adjust it with the "up" and "down" arrows on the interface. I know you sent this back to the developers. Did this added functionality get rolled into the freshed minted beta?

These forums are a mixed blessing aren't they. :)
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Andrew,

We will check out the audio lag in the headphones, in our lab.

I am without a nanoFlash at this moment, so I can not test it for a few hours.

Due to the very nature of ingesting a frame of video+audio digitally, then extracting the audio, then converting it to analog for the headphone output, there will be some delay.

Our goal is to minimize the delay. In an all analog world, they delay can be almost zero, but since we have to receive the entire frame of data (video + audio), then start processing it, a slight delay is the best that is physically possible.

I will ask our developers if the Headphone Level can be adjusted via the Up/down arrows. It is not in the release notes. I thought it was going to be there.

Actually, I think, at this time, the Public Beta program is working well. Our thanks go out to those who test and report back both positive and negative items.

Between the First Public Beta 1.5.31, and the Second Public Beta 1.5.126, we made 95 separate builds of the firmware. For each one, we tested, at a minimum, the area that was under development. And for some of the builds, we did more thorough testing.

For the past few days, the 1.5.126 was put through full time testing by multiple people in our lab.

Even after all of the this testing, the diverse testing provided by the Public Beta program is invaluable.

We consider it very worthwhile to have public testing and all of the feedback, both positive and negative.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey