EX3 and the rear mounted Nanoflash Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 30th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #1
Major Player

EX3 and the rear mounted Nanoflash Issue

Hello All,
I would like to share an operational issue I have with the EX3 and the rear mounted Nanoflash combination. I recently had a shoot in a very confined area where it was not possible to use a tripod and all the subjects where seated at tables and I needed to get facial reaction shots. I decided that it was best to use my camera hand held at waist level to bring the camera close to the subject’s eye’s. Because the EX3 is such a short camera the rear of the camera would sit just under my arm. On occasions the protruding NanoFlash CF flash card ejection buttons would come into contact with my side causing the CF cards to become partial dislodged while recording causing corrupt files. I am now looking for a method of protecting the CF ejection buttons for this kind of work. I thought of mounting a aluminum plate to the Nanoflash the same height as the ejection button’s to protect them but it would also make changing cards much more difficult.

Anyone got any other suggestion’s ?
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Lance,
I hear you and understand the problem you had. It's a bummer isn't it? I think CD would need to look at EX1-3 SxS cards housing for instance. You need to push the eject button to stick out so you could push it again to get your SxS card out. I think that would be a nice way to solve the problem. Any other thoughts?
Other way is to make a cover all around the left site of the NF with buffer on the insight where and near the buttons are, so that would not push them in and eject the CF cards. That way you may have a protection but the NF would get slightly bigger in size... or just a plate with buffer all around the eject buttons (and holes for them) with Velcro. You would be able easily to remove the plate (based on the velcro) and change the cards.
I still think the CD designed need improvement in that, instead we make DIY

Last edited by Luben Izov; March 30th, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

Luben and Lance, my system of wing with NanoFlash arms is a sturdy system for mounting the NanoFlash, and it puts it in a very protected spot.

You can see the system on my WEBsite:
Stronger Tripod Plates . NanoFlash Brackets . Sliders by Westside A V

Or you can contact me for more information or for ordering.
olof@westsideav.com
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 and the rear mounted Nanoflash Issue-safenano1.jpg   EX3 and the rear mounted Nanoflash Issue-safenano2.jpg  

Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

We have built an accessory that protects the CompactFlash card ejection buttons.

We will make it available soon.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The problem with the sxs button is that once you touch it, it comes out and you still can accidently remove the cards.
I had the same problem and I simply used a few plastic M6 rings and a little bit of gaffertape. I cut a bit of the ring, placed the rings around the button and gaffered it to the NF. Not so charming, but functional.
Indeed maybe something to think of. Adding a 'button guard'. You will always be needing some sort of pin to unlock the cards...
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Guys,
Thanks for you suggestions, I have just been looking at the Flash XDR and if the same system could be implemented to the NanoFlash it would be great. We have two mounting screws on the card side of the Nanoflash and all that would be needed would be a U channel with the appropriate cut out milled for the CF cards and a clip on cover. That would solve the problem and still allow access to the card slots. This would also aid in protecting the slot’s from ingesting dust etc.

Dan are you able give any details on the CD option to help with this issue.
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

I have designed, and built, a U-Shaped Device that protects the card eject buttons.

We will try to present this as soon as possible.
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

We have built an accessory that protects the CompactFlash card ejection buttons.

We will make it available soon.
Thank you very much for this! (One of those little things I thought was overlooked, but important to me)...

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:51 AM   #9
Major Player

Dear Dan,
Thanks for the info this is really a must have accessories for anyone using the camera for hand held shooting.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:36 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Lookout!

On my nano, when I press the eject button on CF cardslot #1, the card isn't just ejected, it flies across the room! Maybe CD needs to design a tether, a piece of string that can be glued to each CF card and attached to the nano, just to keep it from flying too far. After a forceful eject, you could reel it back in.

Wait a minute... what is today's date? March 31???

;-)

Jeff
Jeff DePonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:49 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Jeff,

May I suggest a lighter touch on the Eject Button? (Grin)
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:01 AM   #12
Regular Crew

When the nano isn't on the camera, I put it on its side, hit the eject button and try to grab the card in mid-air. ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey