Nano flash with pmw 350 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 6th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nano flash with pmw 350

Hi everybody, I’m about to buy this week the PMW 350 and I was thinking instead of buying the sxs cards, I can buy only the nano flash, but I have a few questions before I do so:
1. Is it possible to use only the nano on PMW350 using the rec/stop botton without having any media in the sxs slot?
2. Is it possible to have two video outputs contemporaneously, one for nano and the other for the hd control monitor (is it correct output from nano to the monitor?)
3. Delkin 64GB cards is a good choice for nano?
The thing is: Can I save the money of SXS and choose the nano as the only media support? What advantages or disadvantages of nano with PMW350? Anything else that I haven’t mentioned or asked about nano? Any other information will be very appreciated.
Thank you all
Samer
Samer Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Trustee

The answer to all the questions is yes, however if you don't have at least 1 sxs card, the only way to record on the nano is by pressing the record button on the nano itself or buying the nano remote control, either of which could be less convenient than using one of the two record buttons on the PMW350.

I think you'll want to have at least one sxs card, and you can just erase it when full to keep recording to CF on the nano. That allows you to start and stop the nano recording using the PMW350 timecode and record buttons. Otherwise, looking at the PMW350 viewfinder you will never know whether you are recording or not, but if you have an SXS card in there, you'll get the red recording indication and an incrementing timecode in the viewfinder.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

nanoflash with pmw-350

Hi, what is the best configuration for a nano flash with pmw350…cables and all things you need to have audio and video from camera to nano…
Delkin 64GB cards X 2
PMW350 Mount
P-Tap (Anton Bauer) to nanoFlash 18" (this will power the nanoflash off the pmw350 p-tap)
HD-SDI Cable 75Ω 12 inch
2 each 75Ω BNC 90degree (female to male) Connector
Is that ok?
thanks
Samer Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Samer,

I have recorded in the manner you wish to but under controlled conditions in my studio, not on location. I have the remote cable for the nano.

However, I'm with Tom on this one. However, depending on how often you will be shooting and for how long, you might want to consider 4 Delkin 64Gb cards. They are CD approved and Dan has posted that they are most impressed with the card.

You don't need such long power and coax cables as you state. Keep everything as neat as possible, but do allow some slack. If you want to monitor in HD, loop through the nano if practical.

Take a look at Olof's posts. He has organised a nano mount for the PMW-350.

For your peace of mind, buy the SxS-1 cards, which are cheaper than the Pro cards and dual record. As Tom has stated, erase the SxS once you have verified that the nf recordings are fine. Just make sure you save the files to at least 2 storage devices.

You might save on $$$ by not buying SxS cards but it takes only 1 error on a job and ..... well you know the rest.

Best wishes with your new equipment.
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Samer,
Check out the "youtube" link below. The commentator explains how Trigger record operates.
YouTube - Nano Flash Solid State Professional Recorder - Product review
Trell Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey