DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   HDSDI to HDMI while recording.. What the latency? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/476932-hdsdi-hdmi-while-recording-what-latency.html)

Duncan Craig April 16th, 2010 04:31 AM

HDSDI to HDMI while recording.. What the latency?

Hello all.

I'm in the market for a new client monitor for my EX1 and looking at the SmallHD DP1x. However it only has component and HDMI (I know there's a new monitor coming but it's too small). The component output of the EX1 is in a really awkward place, so I want to use the HDSDI out instead.

I thought about getting a convertor to bolt to the back of the monitor, from HDSDI to HDMI.

But as I'm also in the market for a NanoFlash it seemed that perhaps it could feed the monitor HDMI from the HDSDI signal it would record from the EX1.

(Still with me?)

Would there be a noticeable amount of lag/delay/latency if I did this?

Could I add some small battery powered speakers to the analogue out of the NanoFlash to monitor audio on record/playback too?

Cheers, Duncan.

Piotr Wozniacki April 16th, 2010 07:01 AM

I'm using EX1's HD-SDI -> nanoFlash -> HDMI out to my Marshall monitor, and if I understood you correctly, this is your planned scenario as well.

I can confirm there is some lag to the picture on the monitor HDMI, but nothing that would make this setup unusable or difficult to use.

Duncan Craig April 16th, 2010 07:12 AM

Hi Piotr, that's exactly the scenario I had envisaged.

So the lag isn't likely to be something that a director/client will notice too badly?

Thanks.

Piotr Wozniacki April 16th, 2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Craig (Post 1515050)
So the lag isn't likely to be something that a director/client will notice too badly?

Absolutely not, Duncan.

Alan Emery April 16th, 2010 07:33 AM

Hi Duncan,

I use the same setup as well (although I am using an Ikan 8000HDMI from the nanoflash HDMI connection).

My subject material is wildlife and also close up. Yesterday I was shooting extreme telephoto (Nikon Lens zoomed to 400mm on Canon XL H1s) of wood ducks on a pond. Their image filled the screen and they were swimming rapidly or fighting. The monitor made it easier than using a viewfinder. Whenever I couldn't follow the action, it was my fault, not the monitor's fault.

I also found that if as the operator and I am in a stable location, it is best if the monitor is not mounted on the camera, but instead on the tripod or a separate stand. I am in a blind, so a separate stand is out of the question. In your case using the monitor from the nanoflash feed as a client monitor would work well.

Alan

Duncan Craig April 16th, 2010 07:40 AM

Thanks Gentlemen.

Well, thanks gentlemen!
It looks like a great workable solution.

Kind Regards, Duncan.