HDSDI to HDMI while recording.. What the latency? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 16th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #1
Major Player

HDSDI to HDMI while recording.. What the latency?

Hello all.

I'm in the market for a new client monitor for my EX1 and looking at the SmallHD DP1x. However it only has component and HDMI (I know there's a new monitor coming but it's too small). The component output of the EX1 is in a really awkward place, so I want to use the HDSDI out instead.

I thought about getting a convertor to bolt to the back of the monitor, from HDSDI to HDMI.

But as I'm also in the market for a NanoFlash it seemed that perhaps it could feed the monitor HDMI from the HDSDI signal it would record from the EX1.

(Still with me?)

Would there be a noticeable amount of lag/delay/latency if I did this?

Could I add some small battery powered speakers to the analogue out of the NanoFlash to monitor audio on record/playback too?

Cheers, Duncan.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm using EX1's HD-SDI -> nanoFlash -> HDMI out to my Marshall monitor, and if I understood you correctly, this is your planned scenario as well.

I can confirm there is some lag to the picture on the monitor HDMI, but nothing that would make this setup unusable or difficult to use.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Piotr, that's exactly the scenario I had envisaged.

So the lag isn't likely to be something that a director/client will notice too badly?

Thanks.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
So the lag isn't likely to be something that a director/client will notice too badly?
Absolutely not, Duncan.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Duncan,

I use the same setup as well (although I am using an Ikan 8000HDMI from the nanoflash HDMI connection).

My subject material is wildlife and also close up. Yesterday I was shooting extreme telephoto (Nikon Lens zoomed to 400mm on Canon XL H1s) of wood ducks on a pond. Their image filled the screen and they were swimming rapidly or fighting. The monitor made it easier than using a viewfinder. Whenever I couldn't follow the action, it was my fault, not the monitor's fault.

I also found that if as the operator and I am in a stable location, it is best if the monitor is not mounted on the camera, but instead on the tripod or a separate stand. I am in a blind, so a separate stand is out of the question. In your case using the monitor from the nanoflash feed as a client monitor would work well.

Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Gentlemen.

Well, thanks gentlemen!
It looks like a great workable solution.

Kind Regards, Duncan.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey