Nano has Saved My Life, My Sanity, and My Career! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nano has Saved My Life, My Sanity, and My Career!

A long, long time ago (March 3rd), I posted here a subject, "Premier CS4 Import Failure", and subsequently received the unbelieveably helpbul response evidently so typical of Tommy with CD, and subsequently from Main Concept. That issue has just been resolved, as described following.:

I just finished a week of total reinstall of OS and 19 programs on my Boxx Workstation, and MainConcept now imports into Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. I'd like to say that all goes well, but I now have a bizarre circumstance. I've only imported three short test clips from the nanoFlash, and all editing of everything else collected on the nanoFlash will await installation of Win 7, and CS5, which will hopefully solve ther issue I am now facing, which given the overall picture (pun intended), is certainly minor! But at present, when I import, everything on the timeline shows up ONLY in the video - that is, both video and audio are in the video portion of the timeline, and I cannot edit any audio (also, de-interlace, and several other functions are nonoperational, such as frame blend), although all of the other video effect functions work fine. I am only able to edit audio by taking the "video" timeline into Soundbooth. Ugh!

Apart from that, I am now for the FIRST time seeing GLORIOUS video from my EX1, as recorded by the nano!!!!!! I have been tearing my hair (and other things) out for two years, and spent over 1,500 hours evenings and weekends (to say nothing of over $15,000 spent on another new powerful workstation and 6 major editing and/or conversion programs) trying to get anything decent from my EX1, unlike most of you who get great pictures from the EX1 and who have expressed bafflement with my issues.

I am now convinced that there is something radically wrong with the video recording function (to SxS) with my EX1 - for two years, SxS recording has shown egregious interline twitter in progressive recordings put on Blu Ray, with the darndest vertical and horizontal hash around any fine detail or sharp edges (I guess both are really the same). My FX1 and four other HDV cams have produced video far superior to the EX1, until nanoFlash, now. I would have been far better off for my life expectancy just to have thrown my EX1 in the trash and have invested in another cam.

In any event, despite the bizarre performance of audio and video, all in the video portion of Premier timeline, my test BDs produced from nanoFlash data are just awesome compared to anything else I have ever secured previously from the EX-1 (or of course any of my 5 HDVs). Sharp, well defined, almost no interline twitter, except just very minor on the finest detail, and gracefully, NO wierd artifacts such as the vertical and horizontal hash previously from the SxS. Color rendition from SxS was great, and of course is even better with the output of the nanoFlash4:2:2 -incidentally, I'm recording at 100Mbps long GOP, 1920x1080p.

Sooooo, I'm back now to editing HDV material until I have Win 7 and Adobe Production Premiem CS5 installed - and hopefully correct in my understanding that Premiere will ingest and process MXF files without any plug-ins?

And then, I'll be using the EX1 ONLY with the nanoFlash recordings which I've made over the last two months!
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear William,

We wish to thank you for your very kind post.

Our engineers will be looking into the issues that you reported.
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dan.....Oooopppps. That weird behavior in audio and video both in the timeline may be related to my making the mistake of downloading the latest NVidia driver for my NVidia Quadro CX - goodness, have you seen what they have done with 3D just now in that driver (and probably others?) What a craze!
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear William,

Great!

We were discussing your problem late last night. We were going to attempt to duplicate your problem this morning.

Thank you very much for letting us know.
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Trustee

A Few Thoughts On Your Post Headaches

...Hi William:
I read your post with great sympathy, shock, and horror ! Man ! It looks like you've been through the ringer and back again trying to setup your post NLE to accept and reasonably edit your Nano Flash clips. I have a couple of thoughts about your situation.

1. Resist the urge to spend your way out of this problem. Keep your money in your pocket if you can. I don't think you have to go to CS5 just to solve your issue.

2. I am quite critical of Adobe Premiere because you need such a huge honking system to run it on. I'm positive CS5 will be even worse ! If you don't have the Mount Everest of Intel i7 CPU and nVidia GPU in the box, then I find CS4 just doesn't give you anywhere near the performance it should. I run After Effects CS4 on what was *The top 24 inch iMAC last year (Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz) with 8 Gigs of 1067 MHz DDR 3 RAM and adobe turns the iMAC inside out when it's crunching away on a file. All that is running on a full 64 Bit OS and Adobe still wants way more !

EDIT: Regarding your EX 1, perhaps it would be a good idea to send it in and get the full functions verified and see if the camera is meeting spec. The more variables you can eliminate the better.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

might be relief in sight for adobe users

I just did a shoot for intel/adobe with one of the lead developers of the new Premiere. He was quite adamant about how Adobe is getting back on the horse and has put together a system that will compete very well with Final Cut and Avid. From his word, and he was very biased but reasonable, he says that the new software will run very smoothly on many systems, as opposed to past generations of Premiere.

That might be good news to Adobe - Nano users on this forum!
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Re the new CS5, thankfully I have a i7CPU and an NVidia Quadro CX video card, the latter which I am informed is really (because of marketing efforts by NVidia) a card approved for CUDA optimization with CS5! And over on the Adobe Creative Suite Forum (DVinfor net, of course), I see what may be some very interesting information on tweaking WIN 7 to optimize use of CS5. My main use of CS5 (Production Premium) will be Premiere, Adobe Media Encoder, Encore, and Photoshop - given that, anyone have any comments about my ONLY 6 GB RAM providing a bottleneck - I see that with CS5 optimized for my configuration, RAM may be running at over 6 GB, if you have it!

Also, given that my long term use of Cineform has been shelved with CS4 incompatability, I am looking forward to reinstalling Prospect HD, which will now be upgraded by Cineform at no cost to NEO with added features, and which will apparently be compatible with CS5! Excuse me, that last sentence may be obtuse, but it is the best that this early morning addled functioning can do.

And also, I've had no response here yet re - does Adobe CS5 Production Premium (or more particularly Premiere CS5) support ingestion of nano files without the MainConcept plug in? Again, a response would be much appreciated.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear William,

It is our understanding that CS5 was designed to work with our files.

However, I have been informed there are a few problems at this time, when using their initial release of CS5.

I understand the Adobe is working on it and will have it fixed in 5.1.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey