Problem importing MXF files to CS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Problem importing MXF files to CS5

Hi

I have downloaded the trial version of Premiere Pro CS5 and when i import MXF 100 Mbps NanoFlash files they show up as sound files. I can play them within the editor but only sound and no picture is seen. The files are also identified as sound files with the small loud speaker next to the file name.

The files where imported on a XP x32 computer and then transferred to Win 7 x64.
The files plays fine in Sony XDCAM viewer. I have tried to reinstall PP-CS5 but that didn't help.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

//Ari
Ari Kesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Ari,

It is my understanding that the initial release of CS5 has a problem with our files.

We understand that Adobe is working on this and it will be fixed by CS 5.1.
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you for quick answer.
I still have CS4 to work on so i am fine until they release 5.1.

//Ari
Ari Kesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Ari,

CS3/CS4 do not natively support Sony XDCam 4:2:2 files, thus do not support our 4:2:2 files either.

However, the MainConcept Codec is available which supports our files.
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

There are two issues that Ari is experiencing:

1/ As Dan outlined CS5 has an issue with C-D files. It doesn't decode the audio properly, nor read the timecode. However it does see the picture properly. Ari is not seeing it because:

2/ The trial version of CS5 does not support mpeg2 files because of licensing costs.

Otherwise CS5 really rocks. For those who haven't tried it, even without a CUDA supported card, the new Mercury engine under 64 bits puts other NLEs to shame performance wise. Unfortunately the trial is to crippled because of the licensing issues to really show it off. But in this version Adobe really took a giant leap forward speed and stability.

David
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Dan, so are you saying that C-D MXF files do not work in CS5?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

They will work in an update.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Dear Ari:

Well, I have the full version of CS5 Production Premium, and for the time being, and perhaps forever, have given up on ANY version of Premier Pro, CS3, 4, or 5. I am now just beginning to learn Vegas Pro 8 (Pro 9 evidently turns the initial couple of frames green with a non I-Frame import), am editing in it, rendering out with an AVI wrapper, and am successfully then using CS5 Media Encoder and CS5 Encore.

Evidently there is something radically wrong with my computer, which causes really bizarre results in attempting to use Premiere CS4 with the Main Concept plug in, or in attempting to use Premiere CS5.

I have a Boxx 4850, i7 overclocked to 4 G, NVidia Quadro CX (one of the "approved" cards for Premiere CS5), 6 G RAM, and two hard drives, with data on a RAID 0. I tried out Premiere CS4, on a totally clean reinstall of Vista Ultimate and all programs, but quit it after all imports of nanofiles showed up with both audio and video in the video timeline. Then I did another complete clean reinstall of EVERYTHING on the same computer, WIN 7 Ultimate (64 bit), Adobe Production Premium CS5, etc., and had the same abomination, EXCEPT now, my in my uneditable audio (except taking it into Soundbooth), one of the two audio channels lags the other - this is what is "supposed" to be fixed by Adobe, when and as they get around to it, in their next version. Haven't we all been through this before?

In any event, all versions, including Premiere CS5 appear to work flawlessly for me in handling the normal output of my Sony EX1. But the picture from the nanoFlash is just so stunningly superior to the SxS collected output of the EX1, that I am not willing to give up nano. Soooooo, even though the export from Vegas Pro 8 is horrendously slow, that is what I'm using, and that is what works for me.

Last edited by William Urschel; May 20th, 2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Poor Grammer!
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

William,

I have the same problem but have solved it differently. Rather than sacrifice the fantastic speed advantage of Pr CS5 I'm editing with my backup EX files as proxies. When the edit is complete I'll replace the EX material with the nanoFlash match. I don't think the Premiere update with the CD files fix will be too long coming. As well Pr handles the EX files beautifully, concatenating all the long take clips into a single clip on import, something that can't be done with CD files because they don't write the metadata info to do it. Editing with the EX files as proxies also gives the advantage of access to all the RT CUDA effects. When the CD files replace the EX proxies the effects will automatically be applied, again without the need to render or change anything.

David
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Trustee

To fix the audio issue, can't you remove the nano audio and replace with the SxS audio?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

"To fix the audio issue, can't you remove the nano audio and replace with the SxS audio? "

You could but depending on the number of clips that may not be practical. In my case with 500+ clips it's not. As well, it would mean treating each series of concatenated clips as a sub-timeline which might be a mixed blessing. I haven't played with sub timelines for a few versions, but there were always issues that cropped up with them in the past. Whether they've all been fixed in cS5 is hard to say at this point.
David Cherniack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey