nanoFlash Intermittent Video and Firmware 1.5.249 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 21st, 2010, 08:03 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Hey Guys,

Just FYI, I shoot 1080i with a Sony HDW-730, and although it occurs infrequently,I still experience the problem.

I do have a few questions in this regard:

• Is this a problem specifically introduced by firmware? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I never (to my knowledge) had this issue with the firmware that shipped with my Nano last July. Aside from losing certain newer features, is there a reason that I shouldn't just revert to the earlier version of the firmware? Were there issues with that version and the way that it dealt with signal or bit errors that I should be aware of?

• What is the result of the intermittent video error? In other words, what is happening to my nano and the currently recording clip? Does recording stop and then immediately pick up again? Is the nano in a terminal stall until I cycle the power, or stop and re-start recording? What should I do when this happens?

Because this often happens in very active (verité) situations, I often don't realize that it's occurred until the end of a particular "set-up". And when I re-visit the footage, often days later, I'm not sure where it occurred or what I lost. Either way, it's shaken my confidence a bit and it looks like I'll probably be throwing tape back in the old workhorse until everything is sussed out.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM   #32
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Liner View Post
Hey Guys,

Just FYI, I shoot 1080i with a Sony HDW-730, and although it occurs infrequently,I still experience the problem.

I do have a few questions in this regard:

• Is this a problem specifically introduced by firmware? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I never (to my knowledge) had this issue with the firmware that shipped with my Nano last July. Aside from losing certain newer features, is there a reason that I shouldn't just revert to the earlier version of the firmware? Were there issues with that version and the way that it dealt with signal or bit errors that I should be aware of?

• What is the result of the intermittent video error? In other words, what is happening to my nano and the currently recording clip? Does recording stop and then immediately pick up again? Is the nano in a terminal stall until I cycle the power, or stop and re-start recording? What should I do when this happens?

Because this often happens in very active (verité) situations, I often don't realize that it's occurred until the end of a particular "set-up". And when I re-visit the footage, often days later, I'm not sure where it occurred or what I lost. Either way, it's shaken my confidence a bit and it looks like I'll probably be throwing tape back in the old workhorse until everything is sussed out.

Thanks,
Eric
Hi Eric-
The intermittent source issue was introduced with a recent firmware update (where we were trying to fix other problems). Yes, you could go back to older code, but if you have another week or so before your next shoot, we should have this new code exhaustively tested and released.

When the intermittent source occurs the system will close the current file and automatically restart. You will loose about 5 seconds of video, though. You can see it in a break in the time-code.

We're working day and night to get this resolved. I checked about 500 files over the weekend and found no problems with the new firmware. We will continue to test throughout this week.

Best-
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike.

I'll probably miss out on the fix before heading back to the field, but I'm glad to hear that it's almost resolved.

Are legacy versions of the firmware available on the CD website, and if so, which one (most closely) predates the intermittent source glitch? Again, I'm currently running 1.1.154.

Cheers,
Eric Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #34
New Boot

Mike and Dan - Anything to report after the most recent testing? Thanks.
Herb Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Dear Herb,

We have incorporated many fixes into our firmware version 1.6.29.

We highly recommend this firmware version for all nanoFlash users.

This is a "Production Level" release, not a Public Beta.

This version disables the "Power Save" feature, for reliability reasons. We still have to find and correct a problem, with Power Save, which we will do in a future firmware release.
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #36
Major Player

Hi Dan,

I recall some weeks (months) back there was an issue tied to either the MPG format or SD recording. Are there any issues or caveats right now in recording in SD with the current production firmware?
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Dear Andrew,

No, there are no issues with MPG recording, as far as I know.

I will check with our engineers when they arrive in a couple of hours.
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #38
New Boot

Thanks Dan. I'll give it a try.
Herb Forsberg
Herb Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Our engineers report that MPG in SD works, no problems.

HD in MPG also works.

Our MPG is a way to record, an ".MPG" file, for either SD DVD or for HD DVD (Blu-ray).

The file is pre-rendered, ready to be placed on a DVD or Blu-ray by appropriate DVD burning software.

This is a huge time saver.

If the DVD burning software realizes that the file is already pre-rendered, then it does not take long to burn the file to a DVD.

For SD, one has the choice of 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 Mbps.

Higher rates are avaliable for Blu-ray.
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #40
Major Player

Thanks for allaying my concerns Dan.

SD recording out of the nanoFlash isn't much talked about but it has lots of use particularly in an environment (or project) where you have to get broadcast ready SD stuff out fast from an HD camera.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey