DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   nanoFlash Beta 1.6.18 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/480834-nanoflash-beta-1-6-18-a.html)

Mike Schell June 23rd, 2010 02:04 PM

nanoFlash Beta 1.6.18

The new nanoFlash beta code is now available for download at: http://69.15.88.17/downloads/nanoFla...eta_1.6.18.zip

This new firmware should fix the intermittent source issues, the previously broken screen tally, and some rare QT and MXF file header issues. The separate file format menu selection has been deleted and is now part of the "File =" selection (under the system menu). To select the file type, simply scroll over to the far right and choose between: MXF, MOV and MPG using the up/down arrow keys.

The code has been extensively tested across hundreds of nanoFlash units, but there is always the possibility that we missed something, so please test. We will continue our in-house tests and hope to release a final version next week.

Please send any bugs/suggestions to cdsupport at convergent-design.com

Thanks-

Mike Schell June 23rd, 2010 04:26 PM

More Notes on Vr 1.6.18

Regarding the new firmware, I have a couple of more notes to mention:

1) We recommend that you disable the power savings features (Under the System Menu) when using this firmware. We found some conditions that the nanoFlash will fail to lock to the incoming source when coming out of power-down mode. Our engineers are tracking down the problem now.

2) Due to a part supplier problem with our board manufacturer, some nanoFlash units were manufactured with incorrect crystal oscillators (know as VCXO = voltage controlled oscillators). We think this problem is rare, but we are certain a limited umber of nanoFlash units were shipped with these defective crystals.

We added a special test to Vr 1.6.18 to detect these bad crystals. After powering up the nanoFlash, if you see the message: "BAD VCXO = xxxx", then please contact support (by phone or e-mail) and we will work out the details to get your unit repaired or swapped out. This problem can cause intermittent source issues, especially at extreme temperatures. So, please contact us if you see this message.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but we will do our best to get your unit repaired or replaced.

Best Regards-

Adam Stanislav June 23rd, 2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Schell (Post 1541644)
We added a special test to Vr 1.6.18 to detect these bad crystals.

Mike, is there a way to test this without changing the firmware? I, for one, do not like the idea of changing the firmware ever. Let alone with a Beta!

Mike Schell June 23rd, 2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav (Post 1541654)
Mike, is there a way to test this without changing the firmware? I, for one, do not like the idea of changing the firmware ever. Let alone with a Beta!

Hi Adam-
We just recently discovered the problem and then added the code to identify it. You can always roll-back to previous versions of the firmware after testing with this new code.

Best-

Luben Izov June 23rd, 2010 06:03 PM

a lucky one

Thank you Mike!
This Beta and the explanations you made are very helpful indeed.
First things first - My NF doesn't show that "BAD VCXO = xxxx" message, so I'll and did a little test just as I got the email from Tommy about the new Beta.
The truth is that I did experience an intermittent source issues with Production Firmware 1.5.126 at 720/24p/30p with Sony PMW-EX3 only in S&Q mode situation (60/24 and 7/30), only when I had prerecorded Media on SxS cards with this settings and attaching NF to record the playback from EX3 via HD-SDI out. I did try several different BNC cables (my own, Olof's, CD's) and they all fail at that time. It wasn't the cables. It was and it is the firmware 1.5.126 that actually fail to record 720p/59 playback from Sony PMW-EX3. After installing the new Beta today the first thing that I try was that. Well, it works with every single BNC cable I have in the office. Great!!, Thank you to all at CD!
I did try it with Prebuffer checked,TC Embedded and Internal, Trigger - TC/Record Button/Record&Remote/Remote Record - unfortunatly I have to use my RMA with CD for my Remote Cable... it didn't work at all. It didn't work with 1.5.126 before either....
I had some shots different framerate and TC breaks in between. The NF did record everything that was played out of the EX3 without a sneeze! Although, the NF screen showed flashing "lost src" until the end of the recordings, but, everything was recorded properly.

I like very much the way the menu is infolding. Very fast ( I had some very slow moments with the old Beta) The way you choose your format is very clever and so far the Prebuffer works flowlessly.
I didn't manage to get the Screen Tally to work (with or without E to E checked) on SmallHD monitor. Any seggestions on that?
So far so good!
I see a huge improvments in this Beta compared to the old Beta and to the Production Firmware 1.5.126!?!
Testing continuing.....
Well done CD
Luben

Mike Schell June 23rd, 2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luben Izov (Post 1541684)
I didn't manage to get the Screen Tally to work (with or without E to E checked) on SmallHD monitor. Any suggestions on that?

Luben

Hi Luben-
I personally tested the Screen Tally on our Dell monitor using HDMI out of the nanoFlash. It worked fine. We have a SmallHD monitor in the lab for testing. Can you tell me the basic settings in the nanoFlash (video format, 3:2 pulldown enabled, etc)? I'll set up and test on Thursday.

Maybe the screen tally bars were cropped out by the Small HD monitor. Can you test on a large screen TV?

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Best-

Adam Stanislav June 23rd, 2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Schell (Post 1541680)
You can always roll-back to previous versions of the firmware after testing with this new code.

I have seen too many messages on this forum where people said a beta messed something up and rolling back did not solve the problem. So, I'll just have to hope my nF does not have the problem and leave it at that. I paid too much money to risk changing firmware. I still have the firmware it came with and intend to keep it that way.

Luben Izov June 23rd, 2010 08:03 PM

yes it does

Hello Mike,
The Screen Tally works just fine. The unit that does not work is 2 HDMI cables of mine. I should not keep anything like that.... anyway, the Tally works just fine on all the settings - squeese, stretched, 16:9, 4:3, RED, EX1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1, Full and any Custom settings.
This is very promising Beta so far...
Thank you guys and gals at CD
Best
Luben

Jeff Silverman June 23rd, 2010 08:14 PM

Mike,

As this is a beta release, can you tell us the definitive version firmware you feel is most reliable for production use. Can you explain why this is listed as a beta release?

Sorry, I probably should have posted this in the other thread.

Thanks

Jeff

Mike Schell June 24th, 2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Silverman (Post 1541723)
Mike,

As this is a beta release, can you tell us the definitive version firmware you feel is most reliable for production use. Can you explain why this is listed as a beta release?

Sorry, I probably should have posted this in the other thread.

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff-
Given the exhaustive testing, I would recommend now using this beta software. Assuming no bad reports from field users, we plan to move this over to "production status" early next week. We want to allow users a few days of field testing, just in case we missed something (a hole in our test plan).

Best-

Eric Liner June 25th, 2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Silverman (Post 1541723)
Mike,

As this is a beta release, can you tell us the definitive version firmware you feel is most reliable for production use.

Hi Mike,

I'd request that you also provide a link for downloading this reliable version.

I'm in Deadhorse, AK and have until Sunday morning to test before heading out to a remote field camp...at that point all fiddling needs to cease for me. Hopefully the new firmware doesn't present any issues, but if it does, I need to have an option.

Thanks,
Eric

Mike Schell June 25th, 2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Liner (Post 1542251)
Hi Mike,

I'd request that you also provide a link for downloading this reliable version.

I'm in Deadhorse, AK and have until Sunday morning to test before heading out to a remote field camp...at that point all fiddling needs to cease for me. Hopefully the new firmware doesn't present any issues, but if it does, I need to have an option.

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric-
We'll get it posted on the website this morning.

Best-

Mike Schell June 25th, 2010 09:55 AM

Over/Under-Crank and Power-Down

We just discovered an issue with over/under crank using Vr 1.6.18. Apparently, the new code creates bad MXF and QT files when using this mode. Our software developer is checking into the problem this morning.

Also, as mentioned earlier, we recommend that power save modes be disabled until we can find a fix to the intermittent power-up problem in which the source will not lock. This occurs once every 250 (or so) times we run this test in the lab. So, it's very rare, but it does occur.

We will continue testing.

Steve Brown June 25th, 2010 12:57 PM

Mike... if I'm currently using 1.5.126, I should continue to do so until 1.6.18 is released? If I understand correctly, 1.5.249 should not be used, right?

Mike Schell June 25th, 2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Brown (Post 1542351)
Mike... if I'm currently using 1.5.126, I should continue to do so until 1.6.18 is released? If I understand correctly, 1.5.249 should not be used, right?

Hi Steve-
That's correct, stay with 1.5.126 until new code code is released. Of course, if you have time, any feedback on the new code is always welcome. You can always roll back after testing.