Slo motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 29th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Slo motion

good afternoon,

I have been trying to find some examples and specifications on the overcranking. For my use this would be its most important asset. Hoping to find out more about this!!! I did see the football cmmmercial, pretty impressive but would like to see more diverse shots!!

Thank you,

dale

PS> I read you can use it on the xlh1a,

can I use it via the hdmi on my fx 1000 as well?
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Dale,

The NFL commercial was shot with a very special slo-motion camera.

The nanoFlash can record slow-motion, such as a base timeline of 24p with a crank speed of 60 frames per second in 720p or with a crank speed of 30 frames per second at 1080p.

This is no where near as fast as the 996 frames per second in the NFL Ballet.
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Montreal Group Scores Big Providing Music For Spot

Hi Dan:
I wanted to point out the background music in this NFL spot "The Best Fans on the Planet," is from the local Montreal, Quebec, Canada music group *Arcade *Fire !
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well,

I had hoped for more, to bad.

Guess i will keep on the lottery tickets so I can get a pany phantom gold! Guess i could take another job, work for a few years and buy one eh??

Twixtor here I come.
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #5
Major Player

I wonder ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Well,

I had hoped for more, to bad.

Guess i will keep on the lottery tickets so I can get a pany phantom gold! Guess i could take another job, work for a few years and buy one eh??

Twixtor here I come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Dale,

The NFL commercial was shot with a very special slo-motion camera.

The nanoFlash can record slow-motion, such as a base timeline of 24p with a crank speed of 60 frames per second in 720p or with a crank speed of 30 frames per second at 1080p.

This is no where near as fast as the 996 frames per second in the NFL Ballet.
What would happen if twixtor were used in combination with 60 frame crank on a 24p timeline ... would one be able to slow the frames down any slower?
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, you could slow it down even more, but it'd not be true slow motion, it'd just be interpolating the frames that are already there - ie making duplicate frames and blending them in as best it could.
Twixtor and the like work best with interlaced material as it already has 60 images to work from (ie 1080 / 60i). It just needs to fill in the blank spaces.
It all comes down to what quality level you're happy with - you can take 25P footage and slow it down to 250 frames per second if wanted to but it would be very jerky.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 02:16 AM   #7
Trustee

Slow motion with the XLH1a?

I donīt understand how the nano could do 60 frames per second in 720p from the source of a XLH1a?

The XLH1a donīt have any overcrank possibility as it delivers only 30p in 720 (the NTSC model) in the HD-SDI stream.
Have I misunderstood that the nano is capable of doing the overcrank processing with a eg. 30p stream?
Old August 31st, 2010, 02:38 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You're right Per, as Dan said you can get 30P out of the 1080 stream, and that's all the XL has. I don't think anyone was implying you could get 720 from the Canon?
Steve
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:46 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Per Johan,

The XL H1a does not have HD-SDI out, so a component to HD-SDI converter would have to be used.

The XL H1 and XL H1s work directly with the nanoFlash.

As far as I know, all cameras in the XL H1 series do not support 720p.
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Good Evening,

I went to B&H and looked at converters, was not sure which one would could be used on the xlh1 A to use the nano flash.

could someone send me in the right direction?

also does it capture the uncompressed video from the camera, or just hdv??

My sony has hdmi so I know it will work, but I really hope it could be used on my camera i can change lenses with.

Thank you.
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Dale,

AJA and others make these Component to HD-SDI converters.

HD10AVA SD/HD Analog Composite or Component Video & 4-Channel Analog Audio to SD/HD-SDI with Embedded Audio

HD10AVA - AJA Video Systems

HD10AVA

HD10A is another model, lower cost, but requires precisely 5 Volts DC. I recommend the above unit.

Note:

While a Component to HD-SDI converter can work, it is better to use a camera that outputs HD-SDI directly. A camera, such as the Canon XL H1a has to convert the digital image to analog, then the converter converts this back to digital (HD-SDI)

Thus, one should consider upgrading to a camera with HD-SDI or HDMI for the best results, as this avoids the Digital to Analog then the Analog to Digital conversions.
Old September 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Dan,

thank you for the answer!!

well, the price of the nano, kit is about 3000 for it and then a grand for the converter. 4 grand is a pretty good deposit on another camera. I was hoping it might be a little more economical. Guess I will work in hdv with the h1, capture in cineform for more color space. I can capture through my laptop with the hdmi of my fx 1000 and have it in pristine capture, just no interchangable lenses.

Thanks again.
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I know it's a little late, but check out this video. It was shot on a 7D and 720/60p and slowed with Twixtor. Looks pretty darn good IMO. Makes it look like Twixtor can make for some convincing slow motion.

Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I have to say, that's pretty amazing Paul. Be really interesting to see it properly rather than on the web.

Steve
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I agree, I'm curious to see if the compression in this case actually "helped" the video look better. My laptop monitor is also notoriously bad so I plan on watching this again when I get home from work.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey