Nanoflash and XL-H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nanoflash and XL-H1

Hi,

Is there any Way to record SD to Tape and HD out of the camera on to the Nanoflash seperately.

Just asking because HDV sometimes takes 4 to 5 seconds to start recording after i press the record button and SD to tape just records right away. Which has probably to do with long Gop vs. Intraframe.

At the moment i am using Prerecord on Nanoflash but it would be cooler if the Recording to Tape would just Start right away. To get less shots of the Floor. :)

Any suggestions?

cheers..
Philipp Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Trustee

Philipp, I´m a bit confused about what you asking about?

There is no difference how long it takes to start to record to tape on the XL-H1! Both SD and HDV will record instantly to the tape, if the tape is in pause-mode when you hit the record-button.
If the tape however has been put to stop (which happen if the tape has been in pause-mode for too long). There will take some additional time eg. 2-3 seconds for the tape transport and the record head to align on the tape and start to record.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think Philipp means there is a lag before the Nanoflash starts to record.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Trustee

XL H1 & XDR (Same for Nano)

Hi Philipp:
I have an XL H1, which I use with the Flash XDR, and I simul shoot HDV tape as I'm recording to CF cards. Part of the lag in time from tape to Nano actually rolling comes from the fact that the HDV tape record must be rolling, or else the XL H1 will *NOT output the TC signal, which is what's firing off your Nano Flash into record. If you turn off *Pre-record, then you might get about a second faster roll on the Nano record after HDV tape roll. You cannot shoot SD to cassette and HD to Nano at the same time with the XL H1.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you for the answers..

Well.. In HDV Mode..Sometimes when i hit the record Button it starts right away with recording. Other Times it takes Ages to start Recording. During this 4 to 5 seconds the Record Symbol blinks like its going from Stop Mode to Record.

So yes. The camera definitely has to get the Tape ready. But its definitely not going from Stop Mode. And also it takes longer.
In SD Mode it always starts right away to Record. I believe in HDV its a long gop thing and it needs to realign the Tape more exact. Just a theory. I own an old Xl-H1. One of the first, actually.

I will stick with Prebuffer on the Nano. Just wantet to avoid unnecessary Footage.

cheers..
Philipp Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Phillip,

This may be obvious:

The XLH1 keeps the tape head spinning for a while after each recording stops.

If the tape head drum is not rotating, it takes a few seconds to spin up, thus delaying the start of the actual recording.
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

ok..thank you
But it is also happening if there are only a few seconds between two shots...

I did a test and timed the delay.. I got one delay between pressing the record button and the actual recording which was 7 seconds long. And 7 seconds feels like Ages when your doing Documentary stuff.
Average is about 3 seconds..
70 percent of the Time it starts right away..

Do you think this is normal? I mean its not so bad as i have prebuffer on the Nanoflash, which works pretty well.....
Philipp Steiner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey