Using a NanoFlash at weddings. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Trustee

Using a NanoFlash at weddings.

I was thinking (just thinking) if a NanoFlash would be useful to have as a simultaneous recording system at weddings.
I do use the SxS cards and I usually have enough to cover a wedding but if a SxS card was to fail for some reason...

I know its a bit expensive as a backup system, well I suppose if I was doing it right with a NanoFlash its the SxS cards that would turn out to be the backup, anyway.

Anybody using the NanoFlash for weddings. I just work alone BTW.

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Anybody using the NanoFlash for weddings.
Thanks.
Anyone using it :)
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Weddings or not....

Hello Anthony,
The question you have is very specific, but , as far as I could tell, everyone holding a camera could use the NF, no matter what they are shooting.
I use my NF on every shoot I go to. I do not use it as a "back up" to the EX3 of mine. The EX3 is my back up. The NF is always the primary material for me. Colour space 4:2:2 compare to 4:2:0 on EX3, 50+Mbps recording compare to 35 for EX3..... Why someone would wanna use NF for a backup?!? Use the SxS cards material for a backup. The newlywed would love the difference very much. I bet you would too.
To be able to record separately from each other for redundancy you would need to triger "record" on both separately. You always can to use TC trigger but if your camera stops sending TC for whatever reason the NF would stop recording too.
Hope that helps ;-)
Luben

Last edited by Luben Izov; October 4th, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Hello Luben and thanks.
I was beginning to think there was no one there :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luben Izov View Post
... Colour space 4:2:2 compare to 4:2:0 on EX3, 50+Mbps recording compare to 35 for EX3.. The newlywed would love the difference very much.
Would that difference in recording quality be seen when its delivered on DVD compared to the quality I can get out of the EX3 as it is now?

Thanks for the advice Luben.

Anthony.
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Major Player

I've used my nanoflash with my Canon XL H1S on wedding shoots before.

Really fantastic workflow... and excellent image quality from the Nano makes it very very flexible in post.

As Luben said though, the Nano footage becomes the Master footage, with the camera native format being backup!
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Hello Luben and thanks.
I was beginning to think there was no one there :)

Would that difference in recording quality be seen when its delivered on DVD compared to the quality I can get out of the EX3 as it is now?

Thanks for the advice Luben.

Anthony.
Hi Anthony,
Convergent Design website Convergent Design > Home had some somparacing shots from Sony EXx and nanoFlash. Check it out. Regarding the DVD in SD, Yes, you would see a huge difference. Also, if you are shooting only the vows, NF has a setting that would record directly for BD disk to be burn. Just copy the file to a burning software and the BD is ready. If you are shooting SD on the NF, same way you could make a SD DVD.
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Michael and Luben.
I'll have a look at their site Luben. So better quality DVDs as well.

Whats needed to get you up and running? (just to figure out the cost)

I have the Ex3, Bebob Coco with a DSM vlock battery also an IDX onboard light with the D-Tap socket connected to the Bebob.

Thanks again.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey