HD-SDI out of EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 5th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD-SDI out of EX1

How do you capture your footage out of the EX1 to the nano when shooting 29.97p. since the signal out is managed as 60i, so why use it as PSF in the nano, I question this because I have a blackmagic deck link hd extreme used for capture on set. and it asks for 60i for the signal to be recorded through the card.

Image Quality seems the same since the progresive look is preserved, but from a workflow point of view do you enable PSF on the nano for 29.97 shooting or leave it as interlaced.
Julio Veas P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Julio,
You are right. The file gets recorded as Psf.
If you want to play it through your BM, its needs to be played as psf too, so the card gets an i60 stream, that is the standard.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Trustee

Checkout this link

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...tings-30p.html

-Garrett
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Julio,

If you have your camera setup for 1080p29.97, then you will want to enable
Video|Record PSF > Prog(ressive).

This will tell the nanoFlash to record your 1080 Progressive Segmented Frame 29.97 video as true progressive.

If you want to playback PSF, then your will want to enable
Videp|Play Prog(ressive) > PSF.

If you have a monitor and it does not accept 1080p29.97, then also enable
Video|E to E Direct. This will allow the PSF signal to go to your monitor, which it will accept.
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Can someone please explain the derivation of "E to E direct". In other words what does the "E to E" mean.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Major Player

E to E Direct (EE), means Electronic to Electronic".
The signal that get in the OUT socket is the same that you get in the IN socket, bypassing all the internal circuitry of the system.
Is a useful function, but tricky.
In case of a system malfunction you wont be able to spot it in a monitor.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Andrew -

While I forget the exact derivation of E, it means a direct video signal, from one device to another.

Let's say you have a camera feeding a recorder. That signal can go into and immediately out of the recorder (loop through) as is, without modification to, say, your monitor.

Not in E-to-E usually means, as with the nanoFlash, you will see a PROCESSED or modified signal. When you set the recorder to play, the direct video input is cut, and the playback signal goes to your monitor.

Editing systems originated this choice so that when you stopped playback, the monitor would then see the live feed again, or not, depending on your choice.

If you select E-to-E with the nanoFlash, you bypass the various signal processing that is possible, seeing only the raw input.
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Dan

I understand the PSF setting, but the point is why you would like to have a real progressive frame in 29.97 (output as 60i of the SDI (ex-1 manual)), when your final delivery is probably going to be a 60i (blu-ray for example). so you end up with your encoding software taking the progressive sequence back to interlaced. preserving the look of progresive though.

what I mean is do you have any data if the actual final quality is any different with PSF on or OFF at any final delivery format. I don´t see any difference in image quality just the workflow.

Julio Veas
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Julio,

If the final delivery is 1080i59.94, then one should setup the camera for 1080i59.94 (which may be listed as 1080i60).

If you want 1080p29.97, then setup both the camera and nanoFlash to obtain 1080p29.97.

This can save you a lot of work, and it will produce the highest quality images.
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Got it

Thanks
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Veas P. View Post
Dan

I understand the PSF setting, but the point is why you would like to have a real progressive frame in 29.97 (output as 60i of the SDI (ex-1 manual)), when your final delivery is probably going to be a 60i (blu-ray for example). so you end up with your encoding software taking the progressive sequence back to interlaced. preserving the look of progresive though.
Julio Veas
Your picture will always look Progressive, but graphics and effects won't look the same when the rendering has been done Progressive or interlaced.
Rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey