DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Vlc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/486226-vlc.html)

Daniel Symmes October 16th, 2010 01:17 PM

Vlc

Imagine my surprise when I accidentally discovered that the latest version of the famous VLC player (1.1.4) can now play nanoFlash MOV files on a PC (W7, in my case).

It already could play MXF clips. But now, this helps us orphaned PC users a LOT when shooting for clients wanting MOV for their MAC's.

The VLC player is a great way to quickly play clips on a laptop/desktop. And you can't beat the price.

Dan Keaton October 17th, 2010 09:06 AM

Dear Friends,

This is an important development.

I also downloaded VLC Media Player 1.1.4 and it played our 4:2:2 Quicktime (".MOV") files.

This is great news.

Dan Keaton October 17th, 2010 12:58 PM

Dear Friends,

Daniel Symmes just sent me with a comment about using the VLC Media Player.

The VLC Media Player is a very fast way to open and check our Quicktime (".MOV") files.

For example, if one opens a file in many Non-Linear Editors, it takes longer.

I believe that this is caused due to the fact that the NLE is doing more, such as preparing waveform displays for the audio.

Thus, the VLC Media Player may be ideal for use as a quick way to check many files in the field.

Andy Mangrum November 15th, 2010 02:51 PM

VLC MXF Files on MAC

Hello

With VLC Player, you can also view MXF Files Via MAC,

Also if you check the movie properties, it will show you the recorded bit rate as well as channels of Audio,
(Both Mac and PC Version's)

This is another alternative but usually we suggest Sony XDCam Transfer for MXF viewing on the Mac, Since it will show you previews of file as well as all the metadata, and will import the files directly into Final Cut Pro.

Best Regards

Simon Wood January 19th, 2011 05:07 PM

Help!

I'm filming some shots tomorrow. The guy will be editing with Final Cut Express - can this handle the nanoflash mov files?

I'm not a mac user, so I did some testing today and filmed some movs which worked fine when I played them back on a HDTV via hdmi from the nanoflash (video and audio fine).

However when I brought the files over to a friends apple they were not recognized. Quicktime and I Movie were unable to play them.

I then tested the files on a PC. The PC Quicktime was able to play the sound but not the video. VLC was able to play the video but not the sound.

Am I doing something wrong here? The settings I'm using as follows:
File: Mov
Trigger: TC
Duration: 000000
TC Source: LTC
Source: SDI
Bit Rate: HD 50 mbs
Codec: Long Gop
Record PSF Prog: Yes
Audio In: Analog

If any one can help I'd much appreciate!

Dan Keaton January 19th, 2011 05:31 PM

Dear Simon,

I am very sorry for the delay in responding, I just got notified of your post.

Final Cut Express does not support our files.

If one has a Mac, but has never installed Final Cut Pro, then our 50 Mbps and higher 4:2:2 files will not work.

Quicktime does not support our files, unless Final Cut Pro was installed at one time.

Our 35 Mbps 4:2:0 files will work, however.

Qucktime on a PC will not play the video of our 50 Mbps and higher 4:2:2 files.

Please send me an email at CDSales (at) Convergent-Design (dot) com with your phone number and I will call you.

Dan Keaton January 19th, 2011 05:34 PM

Dear Simon,

The Simon, the latest VLC Media Player for the Mac may play all of our files.

But, please be aware that the VLC Media Player should not be used to determine the quality of your footage. The files will be better than the VLC Media Players shows them to be.

Dan Keaton January 19th, 2011 05:38 PM

Dear Simon,

There is a delay before, around 20 minutes or so, after a post is made, before I get a notification in my email.

Thus, if I am on the phone for example, I sometimes have a delay in responding.

Simon Wood January 19th, 2011 06:00 PM

Dear Dan,

Thanks for your response. I figured the problem must be that Final Cut Pro is needed: we'll have to get a hold of someone with a copy for the edit. I had been scanning through old posts to see if the answer was here already - that's when I noticed someone saying VLC would play the mov files on a PC.

Do you know if other people have had luck getting the audio from a mov file on VLC (on the PC)?

That said VLC seems to play the MXF files (with audio) very well.

(BTW there was no delay in your response at all - in my experience CD has the fastest responses in the video industry!)

Dan Keaton January 19th, 2011 07:23 PM

Dear Simon,

Generally, one records in MOV (Quicktime) if one wants to edit in Final Cut Pro.

And generally, one records in MXF if one wants to edit on a PC.

VLC Media Player, latest versions, can play MOV files on a PC.

And we have a File Converter that will convert MOV files to MXF files.

If you can find someone with a Mac and Final Cut Pro version 6.0.3 or higher, then it should work.

If you record in MXF, and use Sony's Clip Viewer Version 2.30, on a PC, you will be able to view the files but not edit them.

I sent you all of my phone numbers, including my Skpe number via email.

I hope this helps.