Emergency record trigger mode change at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Emergency record trigger mode change

Still waiting patiently for the new firmware, that is not only supposed to bring us the long-awaited hot swapping, but give us the power save mode back, as well!

In the meantime, here is an idea for CD to consider in future releases:

- while triggering the nanoFlash by incrementing TC is very convenient, there are situations when some quick way of switching it to the push button control would be welcome, without digging through the menu (even when the setting profiles are implemented). For instance, the tape in a camera may fail, or a cheapish SDHC card have a media error; usually in situations like these, you just have to stop the camera in order to fix the problem. When the nF is triggered by TC, it will stop recording, as well...

So, why not implement some button press combination (like e.g. a long enough pressing the nF Record button), which would switch the nano from TC to button triggering mode? This could be done in seconds...

What do you think?

Piotr
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

good idea!
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Priotr,

I like your idea.

In my opinion, we needd a way to start recording via incrementing time code, then switch to allow recording to continue if you are about to run out of tape.

All things get either slightly more complicated or really complicated when we try to implement them.

First we need to get out the upcoming releases.
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
So, why not implement some button press combination (like e.g. a long enough pressing the nF Record button), which would switch the nano from TC to button triggering mode? This could be done in seconds...

What do you think?

Piotr
That sounds like a very good idea Piotr and if Dan likes it ..you never know.. it could happen.:)
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Major Player

This link is Courtesy of Anthony

Anthony from UK sent me this link. I believe that could work quite nicely without any complications for NF and EX cameras. Having NF recording totaly independent from EX-x with one record button pressed for both (camera & NF)
Piotr, that could be your solution especialy when you are on Monopod/Shoulder. Just an idea!
Your idea is very good, but, I believe it would make NF very complicated firmware. I know that is a mather of time when we would ask for Dual Link HD-SDI acceptance of 10 bit & 12 bit. I rather have that and use a 3 party equipment for safty recordings.

Hawk-Woods XV-04A (XV04A) Sony PMW-EX nanoFlash Remote Tally Operating Cable for ST-7

What about if that cable fails?
;-)
Cheers
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Luben,
Unfortunately that cable only operates the NF not camera record and NF
It sits over the camera record button leaving it unusable.

Hawk-Woods told me they designed this button for the BBC.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Oh well... Thanks Anthony...that's a pity. It did look as a very good idea though.
Cheers
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Trustee

Yes, it did Luben but there you go.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey