Sony F3 + nanoFlash used in Coke Commerical at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 30th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony F3 + nanoFlash used in Coke Commerical

Dear Friends,

This past weekend Nigel Akam, DP, was the first person in Canada to test the new Sony F3.

He shot all weekend and recorded to the camera and the nanoFlash.

He reported that “Everything worked great.”

Sony let him keep the camera to shoot a few shots for a Coke commercial. He recorded to the nanoFlash and those are the files they are using to cut the commercial.

Nigel feels that it might be the first commercial project to shoot on the F3.

No footage will be available until the commercial airs.

Photo Courtesy of Nigel Akam, DP
Attached Thumbnails
Sony F3 + nanoFlash used in Coke Commerical-sony-pmw-f3-nanoflash-courtesy-nigel-akam.jpeg  
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Also notice an early release of the SmallHD DP6 hi-def monitor apparently used by the focus-puller being fed by the HD-SDI signal pass thru from the NanoFlash. Good combo with the Nano.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Pretty cool although it looks a bit like a science project!

I bet the footage has great image quality.

I believe Sony will really hit the mark with this camera for projects that "used to be" higher end budgets. Due to costs, the market will accept that the F3 will be good enough for a lot of work.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Tim,

The sensor on this camera is outstanding.

And I do not mind at all that an external recorder is very desirable for this camera.
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Major Player

What a rat's nest of cables, though. That's a pulled out connector waiting to happen.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Trustee

He talks about it at YouTube - DOP Nigel Akam uses the new Sony PMW-F3 with the nanoFlash.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, it was a nice commercial for Sony and the Nanoflash...but not much useful information there.

Does poorly lit and shot video with odd jump cuts bother a professional cinematographer when he sees himself on YouTube?

Still...great that the Nano is getting more and more market penetration!
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Well, it was a nice commercial for Sony and the Nanoflash...but not much useful information there.

Does poorly lit and shot video with odd jump cuts bother a professional cinematographer when he sees himself on YouTube?

Still...great that the Nano is getting more and more market penetration!
Just for your information, The news story was shot by Camera Department and posted on their website, and as for the rats nest, and science project comments, your seeing cables in the bg on the floor, and we are properly cabled off the dolly with no issues. My Key grip and camera assist would take offence to your comments.

Also when your feeding multiple monitors, you have to loop them with short jumpers. That's the only way to do it. clean out from the Nano, and loop through the monitors. There is only on active HDSDI out from the camera
Nigel Akam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Major Player

Nigel:

LOL...tell the grip and assist to take a break and go quaff a cold Labatts.

Yes, there are a lot of cables in the background, but I also see 2 if not three cables hanging down into the range of the dolly wheels. Just sayin'....
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #10
Trustee

Cool Camera Nigel :-)

Hi Nigel:
I use the Canon XL H1 with the Nano Flash's big brother - The Flash XDR, with four (4) slots instead of two. I am able to get wonderful quality with Long GOP @ 50 Mbps, and I-Frame Intra recording @ 220 & 280 Mbps using balanced analogue audio straight into the XDR (Has a really, really, good analogue to digital recording amplifier for no compromise phantom power Mic or Line level inputs). The new Sony camera looks amazing (Drool) ! We are the low end underground digital production and post house in Montreal, so we walk away from anything over $10,000.00 Canadian in price ;-). Do you have a link to the completed coke commercial inquisition yet ? I would like to see what this new Sony camera does with the Nano Flash.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Mark

The shots in the commercial starts running I think at the end of Dec, I think nationally in Canada. I'm not allowed to release any of the shots until it airs, but its one live action shot and product shots. The Nanoflash worked perfectly, but for higher end productions its difficult because there's only one HDSDI output from the F3, so you have to adapt, so that makes it interesting.

When it airs I can upload it after Christmas
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Nigel:

LOL...tell the grip and assist to take a break and go quaff a cold Labatts.

Yes, there are a lot of cables in the background, but I also see 2 if not three cables hanging down into the range of the dolly wheels. Just sayin'....
Bill, What you can't see on the opposite side of the dolly is a grip arm with all the cables running away off it.:) This was one of the few shots I could show that didn't have product in it.

I think the Nanoflash will work great with the F3 and the Af100. It allows you to have that higher bit rate and I didn't even test it. Just hooked it up and started rolling. That's all the time we had.
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Trustee

Pick Up A Used Flash XDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Akam View Post
Mark

The shots in the commercial starts running I think at the end of Dec, I think nationally in Canada. I'm not allowed to release any of the shots until it airs, but its one live action shot and product shots. The Nanoflash worked perfectly, but for higher end productions its difficult because there's only one HDSDI output from the F3, so you have to adapt, so that makes it interesting.

When it airs I can upload it after Christmas
Hi Nigel:
OK. Cool. I will be looking out for that Coke commercial. BTW. The Convergent Design Flash XDR has Two (2) HD-SDI outputs. Although the XDR is no longer in manufacture, If you contact Mr. Jeff Silverman here on the forum, he has a number of used and New Flash XDR's and Nano Flashes still available in stock. Perhaps the XDR with its Two (2) HD-SDI outputs and Two (2) extra CF card slots, plus Two (2) Balanced Analogue Phantom powered Mic/Line inputs would be better suited to your studio setups, while the Nano Flash could be your portable run and gun recorder ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear Nigel,

Thank you for posting.

We look forward to seeing the footage later.
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #15
New Boot

Any footage?

Hi Nigel,

Would love to see some footage. Any chance of posting soon.

Cheers,

Martin
Martin Hawkes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey