A Few Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 1st, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Trustee

A Few Questions

Hi Dan et al,

1) I do many multi-cam shoots so I have all cameras set to Time of Day timecode but this does not work well with the nano because the nano always wants to record. Am I correct in thinking that I need to change my EX3 to another type of timecode so when I hit record on the camera, the nano will begin recording?

2) Does anyone know where I can get a real XDCAM HD 50Mb 422 file? I ask because Premiere Pro treats the nano 50Mb recordings just like all the other higher bitrate recordings, and I thought the nano 50Mb 'appears' the same as XDCAM HD which is why it can be written as video to the discs. Adobe software has an issue conforming nanoflash files so I was hoping the 50Mb would not have this issue.

3) Dan, any update from Adobe on fixing this conforming issue? To others who aren't familiar with this issue, when importing nano files, Adobe conforms them and uses 1GB of ram per 1GB of file size. Even with 24GB of ram, I can only import a little at a time and then close Premiere and re-open to clear the ram.

4) I will have the need to record non-stop and possibly need to re-use CF cards. However, I do not see a way to format a CF card in slot 2 while slot 1 is recording. Is this correct?

Thanks
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: A Few Questions

Hi Steve,

You could set your EX3 to freerun timecode and then you'd have to trigger the NF via a remote trigger switch or from the on-board NF control panel. You could set the TC to to the Time of Day on the EX3 and that way the footage would have a time of day TC.

Not sure about your questions 2 & 3.

There isn't a way to format a card while the NF is recording. and it formats all cards in the unit. But I thought the Nexto could be used to off load the files and it could be used to delete files without changing the directory structure on the card or writing additional files. I'm not sure if that would work. Dan may be able to answer that question. If it does it may be a worthy investment I would have to look into too.

Cheers,
Garrett
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

When I am recording something that requires hot swapping, and I don't have enough blank CF cards to accommodate the length, I use my Nexto with great success. If you tell the Nexto to move the files off the CF card (rather than copy the files), it will erase the files on the CF card when it's done copying and verifying them. The CF card can then be used in the Nano right away without any problem.

If you are recording in 100Mb mode on the Nano, you can even get away with only having two CF cards, as the Nexto move setting takes less time than it takes to fill up the other CF card currently recording in the Nano. (Note that I use 64GB Transcend CF cards; I don't know if the Nexto will read as fast with other CF cards). If you are recording in a higher data rate with the Nano, you will need a third CF card to make this all work).

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for confirming that Bill. What Nexto model do you have?

Cheers,
Garrett
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the gold colored Nexto Extreme, model ND2700 [NXD-070002700(B)], with a half terabyte internal drive. I don't use it every time; I frequently just offload the CF card(s) to my main computer.

It seems to get better battery life than advertised, allowing me to offload two 64GB cards before giving up the ghost.

Billy
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Billy,

Are you saying that the batteries only last for downloading 2 64GB cards? How long is that usually?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, the tiny Nexto has a built in rechargeable lithium polymer battery. My in-the-field experience is that the internal battery will supply power for transferring two of my 64GB Transcend CF cards. Each card takes about a half hour to transfer. Note that the Nexto comes with an AC adapter, which will power the Nexto forever, and which is also used to recharge the internal battery. (Though charging does seem to take forever...).

Billy

ps Also, since the internal hard drive consumes the vast majority of power used by the Nexto, the internal battery may last longer or shorter with a different internal hard drive. My experience is only with the half terabyte internal drive.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Steve,
As you know I also us EX3's set to time of day for multi cam sports op. I set the Nanoflash to remote and use the EX3 to trigger the Nanoflash and a real time DVD recorder via the Zoom demand lens remote connector. This is not a off the shelf item it requires a bit of work wiring but it is simply.

Cheers
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey