Premiere Pro CS4 Audio Problem with NanoFalsh Files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 11th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro CS4 Audio Problem with NanoFalsh Files

We are trying to edit video footage recorded at 1920x1080 @ 100mbps, recorded on the NanoFlash to compact flash cards (.MXF files) in Premiere Pro CS4 (Windows XP). The editor has the MainConcept MPEG Pro HD 4.1 plugin installed. Premiere will import and play the video files, and import the 4 video tracks, but there is no data in the audio tracks i.e. no sound and no waveform. The audio is 48khz 24-bit. Premiere appears to attempt to conform the audio, and even creates .cfa files, but again, no data, no sound. We cannot find a MainConcept 100mbps preset, nor an option to select 100mbps. Any thoughts on why I am not getting any audio when I drag over these files?

Playback works greats on VLC.

Camera used ; HDX-900 / 1080 / 23.9
Dusty Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Audio Problem with NanoFalsh Files

Hello Dusty,

Have you tried playback in Sony XDCAM viewer? it displays much more information and is a much better tool than VLC,

Sony : XDCAM & XDCAM EX Software Downloads : United Kingdom

Can you verify that there is audio present in the files using Sony XDCAM viewer, or playing your files back out of the nanoFlash?

I will try to replicate the Issue here,

Also under preferences, do you have your audio device set correctly? (set for your external speakers etc) and not to play audio out of a capture card, etc.

Best Regards
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Andy:

Thanks for your suggestion.

We have verified that there is audio in the files via VLC. We know that there is audio.

The thought is that the audio configuration is correct as evidenced by the fact that the “stripped” audio files play fine.

We also rendered the file earlier just to see if it would change things and that didn’t work either.

I get sense that there is a problem between the MainConcept plugin and CS4 in the processing of the NanoFlash files.
Old March 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Fix for Nanoflash files and Adobe P Pro comes in the 5.03 Version, an update to Version 5. There PPPro handles the Nanoflash and it sound files without problem. CS4 does not have the native ability to handle nanoflash sound files correctly. You need the CS5 for that to work.
Roman
Roman Stikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Roman,
Is there a fix either in PPro CS4 or in Nanoflash to get the audio to work? Upgrading to CS5 is a pretty expensive proposition.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Roman and Steve:

As per CD, it is my understanding that the MainConcept MPEG Pro HD 4.1 plugin for CS4 (which is installed) should allow CS4 to work with the NanoFlash files. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Dusty
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Dusty,

Yes, you are correct.

We need to troubleshoot this issue Steve and Roman.

Here is our contact info (including my phone numbers for 24/7 support):

Support Contacts | Convergent Design
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Regular Crew

If the Main concept plug in is expensive, might have to look at what the cost would be to upgrade to CS5. It is 64bit native, but with GPU acceleration, it does help to work with those large nanoflash files.
Roman
Roman Stikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Roman:

The MainConcept plug-in has already been purchased. MainConcept as well as Andy Mangrum at Convergent Design is working with us to find a solution. He has our files and I'm sure we will hear something back soon.

Up grading to CS5 might be one way to solve the problem, but if the decision was made to spend any money to upgrade, it would be to a FC Pro system.

Thanks.
Dusty Powers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey