bent pins on cf card slot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 19th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

bent pins on cf card slot?

Anyone else have this happen to them? My Nano went out last week on a shoot, I was not using it. It came back with bent pins on CF1 slot. Of course, in the field, they didn't know why there was an error with the unit. I figured it out with some help from Andy at CD.

The bent pins are really mashed. I have no idea why one on the side and one in the middle are bent and all the others are fine. I assume someone jammed a card in sideways but don't know for sure.

I have a SanDisk FW800 reader that was giving me problems, I looked in the slot and there was a bent pin there, too. This happened long before the Nano's pins had bent.

Here is what I am wondering: Is it possible that a card is causing these bent pins? Is the card damaged and bending pins? Can CF cards get damaged like that? I've looked at the holes on the card, there is nothing obviously wrong (like broken plastic or plugged up holes) but I'm not sure.

CD does the repair at $50 plus shipping, my unit is on the way there for repair.

FYI, the problem will surface on the Nano in this way: you will see an error code come up that says something about the card not readable. You can select format card, but it won't complete properly.

If you have inserted one card into a broken slot, that card will not work in either slot. Say you take that same card, remove it from the broken slot and put it in a good slot... the good slot will read error and not work with any card until you power down. In other words, a corrupted card from a broken slot will corrupt the other slots, too. If you take a good card and put it in a good slot, the Nano will work fine, but it will be limited to one slot, of course.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: bent pins on cf card slot?

Dear Scott,

One way to damage pins on the nanoFlash is to get debris in the female sockets of the CompactFlash cards.

Then, when inserting the card into the nanoFlash, the debris gets in the way, and if one pushes hard, the pin is bent out of the way.

The hard part, is that the debris may become dislodged, then disappear.

Thus, instead of keeping CompactFlash cards in one's pocket, it is best to keep them protected in a case.

Of course, they may be other reasons why a pin could get bent. It happens, but not too often.

We try to keep our repair costs very reasonable. We have to disassemble the nanoFlash, remove it from the case, desolder over 40 connections, then resolder a new CompactFlash card socket onto the main circuit board of the nanoFlash.

I hope you found our $50 fee to be nominal.
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Major Player

If CD resolders 40 connections, I'd definitely call $50 unreasonably cheap. Thanks for what you guys do!
Old March 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

As long as the nano works when I get it... $50 is not so bad at all. I was expecting more, honestly, so yeah, that is reasonable to me.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Scott,

Your unit will have been thoroughly tested prior to us returning it.

Please check all of your CompactFlash cards for any debris.
Old March 20th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Dan goto chip in on this one $50 is a really good price, I can not get any repair work for that price most companies charge us min $65 and that's just to get a quote.

Well done CD
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Thanks!

We just feel that this is the right thing to do.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey