NanoFlash Audio Problems - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 25th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: NanoFlash Audio Problems

History keeps repeating itself. In this business in my short 30+ years, they manage to get the video within reason but the audio keeps coming up short. I sure hope this does not follow through to the Gemini. I have not bought into the the Flash/Nano because it is 8-bit with more than I care to mange - Compact Flash cards. Now that the Gemini looks promising with 10-bit, SSD's and Dual-link SDI. I hope they manage to get
"also" the audio right.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Dear Barry,

I would like to point out that the audio in the nanoFlash works fine.

The files, played back in the nanoFlash are fine.

The files, played back in other Non-Linear Editors play fine.

The files when played back in the Casablanca system do not play back fine.

I would like to quote Ian: "Either way its a Casablanca problem"

Last edited by Dan Keaton; April 26th, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #18
Major Player

OMG Casablanca is still in use today?
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
History keeps repeating itself. In this business in my short 30+ years, they manage to get the video within reason but the audio keeps coming up short. I sure hope this does not follow through to the Gemini. I have not bought into the the Flash/Nano because it is 8-bit with more than I care to mange - Compact Flash cards. Now that the Gemini looks promising with 10-bit, SSD's and Dual-link SDI. I hope they manage to get
"also" the audio right.
My nanoflash audio has always been rock-solid (and with my particular camera I have to use the 3.5mm jack to get audio in). The fact that the nanoflash even caters for analog audio IN just shows how much attention to detail went into the design.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #20
Major Player

any updates on this audio problem with the casablanca i seem to have drawn a blank up to now and its annoying can't seem to fix it
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Dear Ian,

We want to do our best to assist you.

Would you like to upload one of your files to our server, then we can test the file.

If we find the file is good, then we will have to conclude the problem is with the Casablanc system.

I understand that you can play the file via the nanoFlash and the audio is good, thus the nanoFlash probably recorded the audio just fine.

Do you have access to any other editing system?

If you are working on a PC you could download the Sony XDCam clip browser to see if the audio is good.

Or you could use the VLC Media Player.

If these play the audio, then the file is good and the problem is with the Casablanca system.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; May 9th, 2011 at 04:57 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #22
Major Player

yes Dan it is a problem for casablanca but nothing seems to be happening with them very frustrating
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #23
Major Player

well seems nobody knows?

Well tried another way on the cassie this time ingesting the clips into media manager and then importing into the project and this time the audio is fine but the picture stutters abit i think after talking to the cassie expert it could be something to do with the MXF the nano records in because some computer editers are having probs too
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #24
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Thomas View Post
well seems nobody knows?

after talking to the cassie expert it could be something to do with the MXF the nano records in because some computer editers are having probs too
Hello Ian,

Where you playing the files back off of a hard drive or with a USB reader? that can cause the video to stutter, since USB does not have sufficient bandwidth to playback our files over 50Mb.

Also could you please elaborate further about the Quote above? also feel free to email us directly @ cdsupport"at"convergent-design.com, if you would like. so that we can resolve any Issues, that we may not be aware of.

but simply if the files can play fine within multiple viewers,as well as the nanoFlash, then the problem lies within the NLE, As Dan had mentioned I would try in a different NLE, that would be much more definitive, Premier, Vegas, Eduis, FCP etc, but we will do our best to resolve any Issues.

Best Regards
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #25
Major Player

1 playing back from card reader in media manager video stutter,audio ok
2 playing from cassie hard drive as above

3 as regards to the MXF files this was quoted from the tech man who is the problem solver for cassie here in the uk, there does not seem to be any movement from the Macro Systems on this probot date

The other way is to record directly into the project from the card reader this gives video good but the audio crackles and is sometimes in slow mo, unusable

as for trying on another NLE i have not got one

mant thanks
ian
Old May 13th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Dear Ian,

We would love to help you with your Casablanca system, but that is not our area of expertise.

In general, it makes sense to copy your files to an internal hard disk drive or to an external disk subsystem and not attempt to edit off of a CompactFlash card.

I am sorry but I do not know what you mean by "probot date".

From your posts, it appears that Macro Systems has not been able to assist you with your Casablanca system.

You have reported that the nanoFlash files play fine in the nanoFlash and in other software, so it appears that the audio problem is within the Casablanca system.

We do not have a Casablanca system in our lab, so we are limited in the amount of assistance we can provide for your Casablanca system.
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #27
Major Player

hi Dan

macro systems don't seem to be doing anything about the problem to date, that's what i meant to say sorry

well it a bit of a beggar to put it mildly don't know what to do now
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #28
Major Player

just one more thing

All the files recorded at 35mbs play ok on the cassie the stuff on the nano is 140mbs it could be that the cassie can't handle over 50 mbs
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Dear Ian,

Do you have a way to defrag your hard disks in the Casablana system?

Also, this could be a codec issue.

Our 35 Mbps footage is XDCam EX and our 50 Mbps and above is XDCam 422 footage (4:2:2) (which uses a different codec).
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #30
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Ian,

One other thing that you could try is if your files were originally recorded as a MOV, then you could install calibrated, for use Casablanca, (If you download the demo version it is free and also easy to distinguish if casablanca is using the XDCAM codec provided by Calibrated. since there is a watermark present.)

This could be a work around, it is not the most ideal, but customers have done this with Final Cut Express, with much successes, till they upgraded to Final Cut Pro.

Or you could record a test MOV file at the same settings and try the above test (1080p24 140 I-frame MOV etc) to see if this workaround will work so you can complete your post. and then look for a permanent solution. (Possibly purchasing a supported Editor, such as Edius, Premier, Vegas, Avid,etc)

If your files were originally recorded as a MXF then the only way to converter them to a MOV would be to play out of one nanoFlash into a second unit and record it.

Hope that Helps,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey