E to E direct at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 24th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Major Player

E to E direct

Hi there

Just wondered.. are most people using E to E direct for "standard operation " ie video and sound embedded,TC trigger,SDI .. recording just to Nano..

If so why.. if not why ?

Thanks
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: E to E direct

Hi Robin,
Can't speak for others, but I normally keep my NanoFlash in E-to-E mode.
I typically use it for primary recording, while recording simultaneously using SxS cards on camera (either F3 or EX1). Audio and time code trigger comes through camera (hd-sdi).
Top reason for E-to-E is low latency -- for most corporate jobs the clients are monitoring using a consumer hdmi-input monitor. It is annoying if the picture looks slightly out of sync with the person speaking in the same room.
I also really like having the on-screen tally, since producers seem to have forgotten how to say the words 'roll' and 'cut' -- and the obvious tally lets everyone know when data is being recorded.
Most of the time I go on faith (and based on the meters) that the audio is going into the NanoFlash properly, though occasionally I'll work with a sound man who will hook up his headphone return to it - which makes a lot of sense since it's the last recorder on the data path.
In smaller studio settings we often use a long HDMI extension cable to another room for the clients, while using the HD-SDI output from the Nano to feed the director's monitor on set. Here again the on-screen tally is great because in the cllient room they know when we're actually rolling.
Best,
Dave S
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
Hi Robin,
Can't speak for others, but I normally keep my NanoFlash in E-to-E mode.
I typically use it for primary recording, while recording simultaneously using SxS cards on camera (either F3 or EX1). Audio and time code trigger comes through camera (hd-sdi).
Top reason for E-to-E is low latency -- for most corporate jobs the clients are monitoring using a consumer hdmi-input monitor. It is annoying if the picture looks slightly out of sync with the person speaking in the same room.
I also really like having the on-screen tally, since producers seem to have forgotten how to say the words 'roll' and 'cut' -- and the obvious tally lets everyone know when data is being recorded.
Most of the time I go on faith (and based on the meters) that the audio is going into the NanoFlash properly, though occasionally I'll work with a sound man who will hook up his headphone return to it - which makes a lot of sense since it's the last recorder on the data path.
In smaller studio settings we often use a long HDMI extension cable to another room for the clients, while using the HD-SDI output from the Nano to feed the director's monitor on set. Here again the on-screen tally is great because in the cllient room they know when we're actually rolling.
Best,
Dave S
Hi Dave
Many thanks for your time.So you use the function for the record bar.. and lack of lag time for sync to monitors.. thanks again.. with embedded sound where do you have your nano audio monitor levels at..?
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Major Player

I've actually never adjusted the audio monitor level in the Nano. Sound guys never complained, so I left well enough alone...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Major Player

ah yes.. usually a good idea!

Thanks
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Robin,

My nanoFlash stays in E to E mode. Not sure why I would take it out of E to E mode. Low latency montoring and the record bar are essential to me.

I have in the past fiddled with the audio levels. I have found you can trust the level bars on the display for an accurate read.

Dan Keaton in the past has stated they have gone to considerable lengths to ensure good audio was put into the nanoFlash. Like the rest of the unit, the audio just works. I'm pleased with the output preamp on from the headphone jack. I use a decent set of headphones on them and prefer to use the nano audio output for monitoring as opposed the camera headphone jack. The noise floor is lower on the nano audio output than on my cameras.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Andy

Ok thanks.. maybe I,ll set mine to E to E.. I guess it came in the non E to E mode when I got it.Havnt tried the recording bar,but a good point by Dave that I hadnt thought of.. its a good way to know that the beast is in record mode.. although Im pretty anal about seeing that red light flash.. but another check can never be bad.

Yes never had a problem with the sound,have only ever done embedded.. actually have never monitored the sound off the nano.. I remember people saying it was loud, from the monitor jack,and then some levels were introduced in new software.. but have never tried them..

Thanks and regards to the Republic of Bowen
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #8
Major Player

In EE you are getting on the SDI OUT socket the very signal you are getting on the SDI IN socket.
So, BIG MISTAKE using EE when we you are monitoring out of the NANO.
If there is any problem on recording, you won't notice anything.

Use EE if you need the signal out of the NANO to undergo further processing (record to another device, broadcasting,..).
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey