DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   nanoFlash and FS100 Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/496498-nanoflash-fs100-questions.html)

Piotr Wozniacki February 23rd, 2012 03:44 AM

Re: nanoFlash and FS100 Questions

Cees,

Just to add that actually it may happen that the nanoFlash recording will be noisier than the FS100's internal AVCHD. Namely, when you record at very high gain settings; the internal compression smooths noise out while it's much more obvious in the less compressed nF clips (especially L-GoP at 100+ Mbps).

This is very similar to the EX1 rather noisy picture getting even more noisy with the nanoFlash....

Steve Kalle February 26th, 2012 02:59 AM

Well, Aja is the first to read the TC from the FS100's HDMI with the Ki Pro Mini (new firmware released a few weeks ago).

Is it me or is there a trend occurring with C-D's products? The nano was released and the XDR fell to the wayside. The Gemini is released and the nano falls to the wayside.

Dan Keaton February 26th, 2012 05:43 AM

Dear Steve,

That is not our intention.

We have just been swamped getting the Gemini 4:4:4 firmware perfect.

Testing 30 or so Gemini's every day for months has been a lot of work.

We have them recording in a loop mode most of the day and all night. Then we take out the SSD's and examine each and every frame on the SSD's.

We do similar testing on the nanoFlash so it takes us about a month to complete the testing of all of the features/options/bit-rates/settings etc. in the nanoFlash.

After the Gemini 4:4:4 was introduced, we need to add some very important, but missing features, audio, metadata, and playback of selected files. This has been accomplished.

Another project was developing ARRIRAW support for the Gemini 4:4:4. We shipped this to ARRI for their certification process last Thursday, with the certification process starting tomorrow.

But, we had added a few features to the nanoFlash during this period, but the firmware is not out of testing yet.

We have more features to add. One is the ability to trigger the nanoFlash based on signals from the camera embeded in the HD-SDI data stream. Since most camera manufacturers use a different scheme and since one manufacturer keeps this information a trade secret, it takes time to find this signal.

Another feature that is overdue is the ability to extract timecode from the HDMI output of the FS100.

If you have specific features that you would like for us to add, please share them with us.

Piotr Wozniacki March 30th, 2012 02:47 PM

Any news on the new nanoFlash firmware front?

Dan Keaton April 2nd, 2012 12:36 PM

Dear Piotr,

Yes, after NAB we expect to release new firmware for the nanoFlash that includes the FS100 timecode over HDMI support and the HD-SDI Record Trigger Packet support.

The later allows one with an HD-SDI camera (certain brands include Canon C300, Sony and a few others) to press the camera's record button and have the nanoFlash start and stop as appropriate.
This is without using the timecode as a trigger.

Other enhancements will be included also.

Samer Aslan April 4th, 2012 01:02 PM

these are great news Dan, it's nice to know that i don't have to double trigger and double check my FS100/nanoflash combo are recording,the nano flash has been and still a great combo with my PMW-350 and i'm very happy to know it will be so with the FS-100..you made many nano flash/Fs100 owners very happy with this news, and maybe it's the right time to tell other FS-100 owners (that don't have a nano flash) about the price drop of the nano flash.. nanoFlash.net - *nanoFlash HD/SDrecorder-playerUSB Card ReaderAC Power SupplyUser Manual on DVD2-Year Warranty*$1895.00**ORDER*Includes:Free FedEx 3 day *Shipping* Free Soft Case**
it's time to get another one this way both cameras share same codec/mb recording...:-)
thank you CD, and don't let us wait too long please....!!!! :-)
Samer Aslan

Samer Aslan April 26th, 2012 04:15 PM

NEws about the firmware for nano flash/FS100 timecode hdmi support?
thanks
Samer

Tom Bostick May 6th, 2012 11:02 AM

I just got my nanoflash, and im eagerly awaiting the release of the new firmware for hdmi timecode support with the fs 100 too.

also Samer, I have an fs 100 and a pmw 350k too!

Ben Myrick September 25th, 2012 10:08 AM

Still waiting......

Al Yeung September 25th, 2012 11:55 PM

Yup. Just like the birger adapter

Duncan Craig October 5th, 2012 01:16 PM

Another FS100 owner here, looking to invest in a NF... Waiting on news.
Thanks, Duncan.

Samer Aslan February 13th, 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bostick (Post 1731758)
I just got my nanoflash, and im eagerly awaiting the release of the new firmware for hdmi timecode support with the fs 100 too.

also Samer, I have an fs 100 and a pmw 350k too!

Hi Tom, now we have another thing in common apart from FS100 and PMW350..we are both disparately still waiting for that new firmware,...waiting,..hoping,..and now I'm begging you !!!!

Al Yeung February 14th, 2013 12:34 PM

Guys, Convergent Design can't come out and say it (I wish they would), but it's not going to happen. The FS100 is a 2-year-old camera. They just released new firmware for the nanoFlash a few weeks back but it only fixes some minor problem. The timecode firmware has been promised and delayed for what, 15 months now? We should get the message.

Jack Zhang February 14th, 2013 05:39 PM

Al, where would this minor update be? Official Convergent site does not list it. I'm hoping this is a HDMI black kill switch fix.

Al Yeung February 16th, 2013 12:28 PM

Sorry I mistook January 12 2011 for January 12 2013.

No firmware update since January 2011! Sorry!