Nanoflash MXF files, PPro CS5.5 and RAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 18th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Nanoflash MXF files, PPro CS5.5 and RAM

Has anyone been using Adobe PPro CS5.5 together with Nanoflash MXF files consistently enough to know if the problem with RAM build-up that we observed in CS5.03 has been solved with the release of PPro CS5.5?

Many thanks,
Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Nanoflash MXF files, PPro CS5.5 and RAM

That is big YES. However, good luck getting 5.5 installed properly. Some say CS5 must be removed prior to 5.5 as the install wouldn't work properly until 5 was removed and some have had no problem. I tried on two PCs with CS5 and had bad results and reinstalled Windows and the install was better but still had errors. However, I was able to use Premiere 5.5 and the first thing I tested was importing nanoFlash files.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Major Player

HI Steve,

Many thanks for the information on your experience. Good news indeed about the Nanoflash MXF file now being fully compatible, but a little unnerving news about the installation problems for PPro CS5.5.

Alan
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Trustee

To be honest, there seems to be issues with every version of Adobe CS# as I had a problem installing CS5 on my business partner's PC which took all day to figure out and fix.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Trustee

OK....I am admitting that I am an idiot (sometimes). I downloaded CS5.5 again and the install went perfectly; thus, my prior download was corrupted, and I should have known better than to rush to judgment without re-downloading. So, now I can go ahead and buy more copies to get all of my computers running 5.5 Master Collection AND NOT HAVE any problems with my nanoFlash MXF files!!!!!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Major Player

FYI - 50% discount on cs5.5 at the moment if you 'switch' from fcp. BTW they dont ask for poof, you just enter the discount code of 'SWITCH'.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Steve,

That sounds way better! I was hesitating for sure, but if it solves the Nanoflash issues, it is definitely worth the price. .

Alan
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
FYI - 50% discount on cs5.5 at the moment if you 'switch' from fcp. BTW they dont ask for poof, you just enter the discount code of 'SWITCH'.
Since I have CS5 Master Collection on all computers, it is only $569 per computer to upgrade. However, the best deal I have seen is on Videoguys and their Media Composer 5.5 AND Adobe Production Premium 5.5 for $1700. I have been wanting to learn Avid; so, if this deal is still around come Tuesday, I might just buy it. The only problem with Avid is that their external video card support is lacking; so, my BM Extreme 3D won't work with it, and I will not waste my time hooking my Matrox Mini back up just to use with Avid. If only Avid would support the Aja Kona, then I could have the perfect excuse to upgrade because the Kona is better than the BM cards.

Simon, thanks for the info. What NLE(s) are you running? I noticed in another thread that you were considering FCP X. Are you still considering it? I can't begin to tell you how smooth, fast and rock-solid Premiere CS5 is. Heck, it can even open FCP 7 projects. To be honest and blunt, going from a NLE that supports video formats natively WITHOUT transcoding to FCP X is a silly decision and a major time waster.

I saw a great comment last night that makes a perfect conclusion to the whole FCP X ordeal ..... you won't see advertisements asking for FCP X editors like you did for the prior FCP. After reading many posts and blogs and talking to several people in the industry, I honestly believe that Premiere Pro will quickly become the 'standard' like FCP has been. This is a good thing for people like me who have advanced experience because we are more marketable and can sell our skills at a higher rate. If I only used Avid prior to FCP X, I would definitely hop on the Adobe bandwagon because it is a better BUSINESS decision.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post

Simon, thanks for the info. What NLE(s) are you running? I noticed in another thread that you were considering FCP X. Are you still considering it? I can't begin to tell you how smooth, fast and rock-solid Premiere CS5 is. Heck, it can even open FCP 7 projects. To be honest and blunt, going from a NLE that supports video formats natively WITHOUT transcoding to FCP X is a silly decision and a major time waster.

Its a conundrum. I have had mostly bad experiences with Premiere, but the version I have been using most recently is CS3. I wanted to move to Apple because (a) FCP seemed to be taking over the market, and (b) because of the perceived stability of the Apple hardware/software combo. My current editing machine (CS3 with a matrox RTX2) wont allow me to export movies for some reason (MOV's, MP4's and WMV's created can be opened by the standard programs fine on the editing computer, but not on any other computers, it made me so sick I just wanted to get away from the whole PC world of editing!).

I was about to pull the trigger on a new MacbookPro (top specs) with FCPX, but I decided to wait and see a while longer. Right now it would be cheaper to buy a top of the range PC laptop with CUDA and the discounted CS5.5 package than it would be to buy the MCP with FCPX. But then again the only program I ever used was Premiere and Encore (I could never get my head around AE, and have no use for the others).

I'm going to wait it out a while longer to see what Apple does (I do think FCPX will evolve, and I'm interested in getting in and learning it at the start). September gives me some breathing space, although I have a new gig potentially starting soon that will require me to be in the field filming in remote locations for long periods - so I'll need a reliable laptop running a fast NLE. EDL and OMF etc are not options I ever use, I just need to log and assemble footage quickly and do basic documentary style cuts, so maybe FCPX is still on the cards....

Glad to hear CS.5.5 is working out for you though, must be a relief!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Trustee

Sorry to hear that CS3 and Matrox are not working for you. I must sound like a broken record, but CS5's stability is night and day better than all prior versions. Also, I highly recommend staying away from anything Matrox on the PC side due to my experience with the Mini and CS4 and CS5. Their drivers and software on the PC side are not 'great' and not nearly as good as their Mac versions.

Something to consider for your long trip 'if' you were to use any FCP is the need to transcode everything which uses up a lot of hard drive space.

If you want help with PC laptops, give us your budget and minimum specs needed.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:02 PM   #11
Major Player

Simon,
If you're considering staying in PC-land, also give Sony Vegas a look. I think their free demo is good for about a month, so it doesn't cost anything to try it. It is great handling multiple formats, and sounds like it has all the capabilities you need. Plus of course whenever Sony comes up with a new format (like the 28mbps 3D / 1080P60 formats) Vegas is the first to have a working release that accepts the footage.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey