DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   2 channels of audio mixed down on Nano files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/498121-2-channels-audio-mixed-down-nano-files.html)

Michael Galvan July 5th, 2011 09:13 PM

2 channels of audio mixed down on Nano files

I've noticed that the files recorded on my Nanoflash have the 2 channels of audio I send embedded in my HD-SDI stream downmixed.

I'll have one channel as a wireless mic and the other the shotgun mic on my camera. I hear them as separate channels through the headphone port on the Nano. But for whatever reason, they are being mixed down. I've looked through the menus and everything seems correct.

has anyone else experienced this?

Simon Wood July 5th, 2011 11:26 PM

Re: 2 channels of audio mixed down on Nano files

What are the audio settings on the Canon (menu audio settings & physical switch settings)?

Billy Steinberg July 6th, 2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Galvan (Post 1664731)
I've noticed that the files recorded on my Nanoflash have the 2 channels of audio I send embedded in my HD-SDI stream downmixed.

I'll have one channel as a wireless mic and the other the shotgun mic on my camera. I hear them as separate channels through the headphone port on the Nano. But for whatever reason, they are being mixed down. I've looked through the menus and everything seems correct.

has anyone else experienced this?

Assuming that the incoming SDI stream really does have two separate channels of audio, which your message indicates it does (hence you can hear them as discreet in the Nano headphone jack), the "problem" is with the setup in your editing program.

The Nano records each audio feed as a separate track, with each track set to mono. (As opposed to recording a single track with multiple audio channels). If you don't take this into account in your editor, it appears that all the tracks are mixed together. Doesn't matter if you have 2 or 4 or 8 channels of audio embedded in the incoming SDI stream. The tracks are actually not mixed together, it's just that your editing program is mixing them together. The solution is to tell your editing program to assign the tracks as you want them (normally track 1 to right channel, and track 2 to left channel, if you're recording in stereo, though in the case of recording a shotgun and a wireless mike, that's probably not what you want).

What program are you editing with?

Billy

ps: You might want to check out this thread from long ago, which goes into more detail on the subject.

Michael Galvan July 7th, 2011 12:13 AM

Thanks Billy for your help.

Yes, you are correct... it seems the Nano is recording the 2 channels separately, but is panning each channel to the center.

If I pan to left and right respectively in FCP, I am hearing them both as stereo now.

Thanks for your insight!

Jack Zhang July 7th, 2011 02:12 AM

Setting the audio in FCP to dual mono also helps with this problem.